If you are going to leave your home empty, it’s a good idea to make it look as though someone is at home whilst you’re away, to prevent burglary and vandalism.
Here are our helpful tips:
- Set up timer switches on lights on each floor and a radio on a timer somewhere near the front door.
- Leave the curtains and blinds half open.
- Arrange for a nominated friend or neighbour to visit the property every week, collecting post from the doormat, mow the lawns, check that there’s no damage, no infestations and that the heating is running on a low temperature.
- If you have a driveway, ask for one of your neighbours to park their car in the drive every night.
- Arrange for a neighbour to move your rubbish bins to the roadside on bin day, putting in some of their recycling into the bins at the same time.