Conservation areas are designed to give some protection to local areas of interest, and usually contain some listed and some unlisted buildings. They are designated by local authorities. Substantial demolition within a conservation area requires consent. In addition, certain “permitted development rights” that apply to domestic buildings are reduced in conservation areas, so planning permission is needed for changes such as the installation of dormer windows on the front of a roof. You will also need permission to lop or fell trees. New development in conservation areas is also more strictly controlled than normal.