If your home is flooded, you must report the water damage to your insurance provider at the earliest time possible to let them know you want to make a claim. Check your policy to see what you are eligible for before getting in contact. Things to ask your insurer are how long it will be before a loss adjuster is able to survey the damage, whether you will be covered for a professional to help with the clean up or redecorating of your home and who will be looking after your claim.  

Be sure to keep a record of the flood damage, for example, photographs of the damage, a pen mark on the wall where the water level was at its highest and a list of the damaged items in your home and details.