Maintenance is key! By making repairs now you can reduce the risk of storm damage and wind damage to your home. Simply securing loose slates and removing dead tree branches can save you cash and hassle later down the line by avoiding unnecessary damage.
If a storm is heading your way, take a look at our handy checklist to help ensure your home is protected. Or, for larger jobs, consider hiring a professional.
- Close all windows and doors, especially large doors such as garage or patio doors.
- Put garden furniture in a garage or shed, or bring it inside the house. Remember your washing line poles too.
- Check that TV aerials and satellite dishes are securely fastened. Secure any loose cables and electrical wires.
- Clear gutters of leaves and debris. Take care if you’re using a ladder, especially in high winds!
- Check there are no loose roof tiles or slates or loose coverings on sheds and outbuildings. Check chimneys and repair any broken brickwork.
- Clear ground drains of leaves to make sure that rainwater can flow freely into the drains. Keep an eye on outdoor hose pipes too, to prevent freezing.
- Secure fences, repair garden walls and fix gates that don't close firmly so they are not damaged by strong winds.
- Park your cars in a garage or away from trees and fences.
- Remove dead tree branches so they don’t fall.
Please note that the HomeProtect policy doesn't include cover for storm damage to fences, gates or TV aerials.