Yes, holiday homes require a specialist insurance policy. This is because most standard insurance providers are not prepared to cover holiday homes as they perceive them to be too great a risk.  

This is often because the property can be left unoccupied for more than 30 days at a time between holidays or lets, and because it is not a main residence.