Need cover for a second home?
Get an online quote in minutes
- Weekend, weekday-only and pied a terre homes insured.
- Cover when empty for 30+ days at a time.
- Includes basic home emergency cover.
- Doesn't matter who insures your main residence.
- Defaqto 5 Star rated.
Second home insurance
Insuring a property that isn’t your main residence can be tricky. We can help!
What is second home insurance?
Second home insurance is a policy which will cover a property that is not your main residence. If you own a second home, you'll know that you simply can't be there to protect your property all of the time, which can leave your house susceptible to risks.
Situations covered by insuring a second home with us can include:
- Letting the property to tenants rather than living there yourself.
- Holiday home used seasonally, or rented to paying guests.
- Weekday/weekend houses if you work away from the family home.
- Property left unoccupied for more than 30 consecutive days.
Why do I need second home insurance?
Getting suitable insurance for your second home is just as vital as the cover you put in place for your main residence. Typically, a “normal” or “standard” home insurance policy isn’t suitable for a property that isn’t your main residence or family home. This could leave you in difficulties in the event of a claim.
You need a policy that is specifically set up with the way that you use your second property in mind, since you might not always be there or other people may be renting the house from you.
What makes a house a second home?
Defining which property is your main residence can sometimes be tricky. Aspects to consider when making the decision are where most of your belongings are kept and where you spend the majority of your time.
For instance, if one address is predominantly used for legal interests, is where your car is registered and is what you would consider to be the family home then your insurer will use this distinction to provide cover for your main residence. Anything outside of these situations would typically be a second home, including holiday homes and weekday/weekend properties.
How is our second home insurance different?
Unlike other insurers, with HomeProtect you can almost always obtain a quote online, so you won’t have to phone us unless you actually want to. Our policy is also backed by an efficient and fair claims service, so you can relax knowing that if anything happens to your second property, we’ll be able to help you.
Our cover has been rated 5 Star by Defaqto, meaning that it provides excellent levels of cover for both Buildings and Contents insurance.
Second home insurance key points
- Up to £500,000 as standard for loss or damage to the structure of your property.
- Up to £6,000 cover for your children's possessions while they are at university during term.
- Up to £5 million public liability cover for let properties.
What our customers say
Your questions answered
Prefer to talk to us?
Our friendly team can answer your questions
0330 660 1000 9am - 8pm Monday-Friday
9am - 1pm Saturday
Which month does your home insurance renew?
Tell us to receive special offers from us by email at the right time.
Plus we'll enter you in a £100 voucher prize draw now!