An elderly couple stands outside their bungalow

Our cover

Second Home Insurance

Quick to buy online

  • Weekend, weekday-only and pied-a-terre homes insured.
  • Covers holiday homes empty for 30+ days at a time.
  • Doesn’t matter who insures your main residence.
  • Underwritten by AXA Insurance.
David Joyson

Written by

David Joyson

Home Insurance Expert & Customer Champion

Libby Goodsearles

Reviewed by

Libby Goodsearles

Head of Marketing

Less than 1 minute

Updated: 9 May 2024

Second Home Insurance UK

Insuring a property that isn’t your main residence can be tricky. We can help!

What is second home insurance?

Second home insurance is for homeowners looking to cover a property other than their main residence. This could include properties such as:  

  • Holiday homes that are being used seasonally or are rented to paying guests  
  • Rental homes occupied by tenants  
  • Weekday/weekend houses if you work away from the family home  
  • Properties left unoccupied for more than 30 consecutive days  

Do I need second home insurance?

If you own a second home, you likely aren’t occupying it as often as your main residence. An unoccupied home is more vulnerable to risks such as theft, fire, and other hazards – which is why we recommend buildings and content insurance for second homes, to protect both your property and your belongings.   

Home insurance for second homes is just as vital as the cover you put in place for your main residence. Whether you’re renting out your property, leaving it unoccupied for long periods of time, or using it for holiday getaways, our team is here to help identify the right second home insurance policy for you based on your situation and needs.   

specialist Home Insurance Reviews

woman on laptop next to window

Get a home insurance quote online

Get a quote online in less than 10 minutes*

What’s covered by SECOND HOME insurance?

Home insurance provides financial protection if you need to repair your home or replace your belongings after they’ve been stolen, damaged or destroyed.

It comes in two parts: buildings insurance (cover against damage to the property itself) and contents insurance (for damaged or stolen items within the home). These can be combined or bought separately, so the first step is deciding which option is better for you.

What we offer

Quick home emergency response times

Have a home emergency, such as electricity failure, faulty locks or vermin infestation? With the 24/7 Home Emergency cover, which we provide as standard, you can typically get an engineer at your home within four hours. And if you’re worried about an uncontrollable leak in your home, we aim to have an emergency plumber to you within two hours.

Extreme weather conditions may extend response time. Policy terms and claim limits apply.

5 star rated buildings cover

Our building insurance has been given the highest rating by independent financial research companies, Defaqto and Moneyfacts.

Repair guarantee

Any buildings work we undertake is guaranteed for 24 months following a claim and any contents repair work we undertake is guaranteed for 12 months.

New for old

Where we replace an item, we will do our best to meet the original specification on a ‘new for old’ basis. If we can’t find an exact replacement, we’ll offer you a suitable alternative, or a full cash settlement.

Legal advice

We provide Legal Protection cover as standard, giving you access to telephone legal advice on any personal legal issue, under the laws of the UK, any European Union country, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Switzerland and Norway.

What isn’t included?

Damage cause gradually, or by wear and tear, or by failure to fix a known issue.

Faulty design or poor workmanship.

Theft, vandalism or accidental damage caused by a paying guest.

Escape of water incidents occurring between 1 October – 1 April (inclusive) if your home is left unoccupied for more than 30 consecutive days.

The cost of repairing or replacing items following a mechanical or electrical fault.

Lost items.

Recommended by our customers

72% Saved money when they switched to Homeprotect*

SECOND HOME Insurance Cover Levels

Our home insurance is designed to protect your home against insured events such as fire, storm, flood, escape of water, theft, malicious damage, subsidence, landslip or heave.

Buildings cover

Covers the main structure of your home if you need to rebuild or repair it.

up to £1 million

(eligibility criteria applies)

Contents cover

Covering the value of all your possessions in the home, on a new for old basis.

from £25,000

Loss of rent

If you have paying guests, we’ll cover lost rent if your guests can’t stay in the home due to an insured event.

up to £30,000

Home emergency

Covers emergencies that occur in your home like uncontrollable water leaks, electricity failure, faulty locks and vermin infestation. Two levels of cover are available.

up to £500

Family legal protection

Provides a 24/7 legal advice helpline and up to £25,000 cover for claims involving contract disputes and property damage. For a claim to be successful, there must be reasonable prospects (more than a 50% chance) of winning the legal case. Two levels of cover are available.

up to £25,000

Trace and access

Covers the cost of detecting the source of a water or oil leak and repairing any damage caused in the process.

up to £10,000

Outbuildings cover

Covers rebuild or repair of your outbuildings (such as detached garages, greenhouses, sheds and summerhouses).

from £20,000

Liability cover

Liability cover involving accidental death, bodily injury or illness or property damage that you are legally liable to pay.

up to £5 million

Personal possessions

Cover for portable items that you take out of your home, like bags, clothes and sports equipment


(excluded if you have paying guests)

Gadgets, bikes and valuables away from the home

Cover for electronic gadgets (e.g. mobile phones, laptops, tablets etc), bikes (including electrically assisted bikes) and valuables (e.g. watches and jewellery) that you take out of your home.


(excluded if you have paying guests)

Accidental damage

Covers situations when unexpected accidents happen, such as spillages on the carpet, breakages around the house or drilling through hidden pipes. Two levels of cover are available.


(excluded if you have paying guests)

New Customer?

If you’re deciding on whether to buy home insurance with us, you can use our latest policy booklets as a guide.

Existing Customer?

Your Questions Answered

Yes, if you own more than one residence, Homeprotect can help insure both of your properties. Each property will need its own insurance policy, as each home is different, and the type of cover needed for your second home will be different than for your main residence. Depending on your situation, Homeprotect provides second home insurance for rental properties, second home insurance for holiday homes, and second home insurance for homes left unoccupied.   


Just like when you research insurance for your main residence, to get a quote for second home insurance you will need to know the rebuild cost of your second property. This is the amount it would take to build from scratch, not your home’s market value. You should also know the year the property was built, the property’s history including subsidence and flooding, and the value of your belongings to be insured.  

Most mortgage lenders insist that homeowners have adequate second home buildings insurance in place. It is also generally recommended that you have contents insurance to protect your belongings. In the event of a loss or damage, contents insurance can help to cover the cost of repair or replacement. This is a worthwhile investment if you are letting your second home to paying guests.  

You’ll need to be able to prove that you have an insurable interest in the property for cover to be provided. Get in touch with our team to discuss your situation and learn what your options are.   

Defining which property is your main residence can sometimes be tricky. Aspects to consider when making the decision are where most of your belongings are kept and where you spend the majority of your time.  

For instance, if one address is predominantly used for legal interests, is where your car is registered and is what you would consider to be the family home then your insurer will use this distinction to provide cover for your main residence. Anything outside of these situations would typically be a second home, including holiday homes and weekday/weekend properties.  


The price of second home insurance will vary depending on your situation and what kind of coverage you need.

Homeprotect must be made aware if your property will be left empty for more than 30 days. An unoccupied home is susceptible to more risks such as burglary. Get in touch with us to learn more about empty home insurance for your second property.  

View more FAQs

Prefer to SPEAK WITH us?

Our insurance experts are on hand if you have any questions.