Home Business Insurance
Get cover that takes the impact of your business operations into account as well as insuring your home
What is home business insurance?
Home business insurance is a specialist type of cover that takes the impact of your business operations into account as well as insuring your property and contents.
While it is relatively quick and easy to set up shop in your home, it’s well worth taking the time to consider the effect that this can have on your living space and its security. A home business introduces several new risks, particularly when it comes to stock, office equipment and in some cases public liability insurance for visitors.
At HomeProtect, the level of insurance for home business that you need can be tailored to your particular trade.
Home business insurance explained
Home business insurance is essential when you are working from home. First and foremost, you must take your own safety into account. Try to separate domestic spaces from work premises, and keep valuables hidden to minimise theft and accidental damage if you have customers visiting. Working from home insurance can be tailored to meet your needs according to the type of stock or tools that are kept on the premises too, as well as office furniture and technology.
Home business buildings insurance
Covering you against loss and damage to the structure of your property, including fixtures and fittings, interior décor, outbuildings, patios, walls and fences. A standard HomeProtect policy includes up to £500,000 but you can increase this if you need to.
Home business contents insurance
With one policy you can insure your stock and office equipment as well as house fixtures and fittings against common risks such as fire, storm, flood, escape of water, vandalism, burglary and subsidence. And, if travel is involved in your work, get cover away from the home for valuables like cameras, laptops, mobile phones and baggage.
Public liability insurance
As a home business owner, you’re likely to come into contact with lots of different people. Public liability insurance is essential to protect you from claims made by third parties, such as accidents or injuries. At HomeProtect, we include up to £5 million in public liability cover as standard.
Working from home insurance key points
- You must inform your home insurance provider if you are planning to start a business from home, even if it’s just making cakes on the side
- Choose a policy that covers your business equipment, including laptops, office furniture and stock
- Check your mortgage or rental contracts to make sure that you aren’t breaking any terms by starting a business from home
- Read the small print, as not all policies will include public liability insurance to protect you against third party claims
- If you have employees you are legally required to have employer’s liability insurance. This is separate to your home business insurance
Insurance for working from home
- Home office equipment automatically covered, including computers, printers, fax machines and photocopiers
- Business stock stored at the home considered, may be subject to endorsements
- Public liability up to £5 million available
- Access to a 24/7 claims helpline
What our customers say
Your questions answered
Prefer to talk to us?
Our friendly team can answer your questions
0330 660 1000 9am - 8pm Monday-Friday
9am - 1pm Saturday
Which month does your home insurance renew?
Tell us to receive special offers from us by email at the right time.
Plus we'll enter you in a £100 voucher prize draw now!