Home business insurance
Get home insurance cover that takes the impact of your business into account
What is home business insurance?
Home business insurance is a specialist type of cover that takes the impact of your business into account as well as insuring your residential property and your belongings.
While it is relatively quick and easy to set up shop in your home, it’s well worth taking a little time to consider the effect that this can have on your living space and its security. A home business introduces several new risks, particularly when it comes to stock, tools, office equipment, and customers visiting your home.
At HomeProtect, the level of insurance can be tailored to your particular trade.
- Save money by combining home insurance with home business use in one policy.
- Public liability for business visitors cover included.
- Contents cover can include some stock and office equipment.
House insurance with business cover explained
Home business insurance is essential when you are working from home. Your HomeProtect Contents insurance policy can be tailored to meet your needs according to the type of business assets that are kept on the premises, but if your work includes travel, don't forget to get cover away from the home for valuables like cameras, laptops, mobile phones and baggage.
As a home business owner, you may have lots of different people visiting your home. Public liability insurance protects you from claims made by third parties for accidents or injuries sustained on your premises.
It's still important that you look after their safety, though. One way of doing this is to separate domestic spaces from work areas if you have customers visiting.
- You must inform your insurance provider if you are planning to start a business from home, even if it’s just making cakes on the side.
- Choose a policy that covers your business equipment, including laptops, office furniture and stock.
- Check your mortgage or rental contracts to make sure that you're not breaking any terms by starting a business from your house.
- Read the small print, as not all policies will include public liability insurance to protect you against third party claims.
- If you have employees you are legally required to have employer’s liability insurance. This is separate to your domestic home insurance.
HomeProtect insurance for working from the house
- Home office equipment automatically covered, including computers, printers, fax machines and photocopiers.
- Some business stock stored at home may be covered.
- Public liability up to £5 million included as standard.
- Access to a 24/7 claims helpline.
What our customers say
Your questions answered
Prefer to talk to us?
Our friendly team can answer your questions
0330 660 1000 9am - 8pm Monday-Friday
9am - 1pm Saturday
Which month does your home insurance renew?
Tell us to receive special offers from us by email at the right time.
Plus we'll enter you in a £100 voucher prize draw now!