Home insurance when you

run a business from home

  • We cover full-time, part-time and hobby home businesses.
  • Includes garden buildings.
  • Business equipment covered.
  • Up to £5 million public liability cover cover for business visitors.
  • Multiple businesses covered.
Get a Quote

Home business insurance

Home insurance cover that takes the impact of your business into account

What is home business home insurance?

Home business home insurance is a specialist type of cover that takes the impact of your business into account as well as insuring your residential property and your belongings.

A home business introduces several new risks to your living space and its security, as well as to stock, tools, office equipment, and customers visiting your home.

At Homeprotect, the level of insurance can be tailored to your particular trade.

  • Save money by combining home insurance with home business use in one policy.
  • Public liability for business visitors cover included.
  • Contents cover can include some stock and office equipment.
Home business insurance infographic

Protecting staff and visitors to your home

It’s important to declare how your home is used in relation to your business so that you are fully covered in the event of a claim, and particularly in relation to other people on the premises.

Find out more

House insurance with business cover explained

Home business insurance is essential when you are working from home. Your Homeprotect Contents insurance policy can be tailored to meet your needs according to the type of business assets that are kept on the premises, but if your work includes travel, don't forget to get cover away from the home for valuables like cameras, laptops, mobile phones and baggage.

As a home business owner, you may have lots of different people visiting your home. Public liability insurance protects you from claims made by third parties for accidents or injuries sustained on your premises. 

It's still important that you look after their safety, though. One way of doing this is to separate domestic spaces from work areas if you have customers visiting.

Key points

  • You must inform your insurance provider if you are planning to start a business from home, even if it’s just making cakes on the side.
  • Choose a policy that covers your business equipment, including laptops, office furniture and stock.
  • Check your mortgage or rental contracts to make sure that you're not breaking any terms by starting a business from your house.
  • Read the small print, as not all policies will include public liability insurance to protect you against third party claims.
  • If you have employees you are legally required to have employer’s liability insurance. This is separate to your domestic home insurance.



You may also be interested in:

Homeprotect insurance for working from the house

  • Home office equipment automatically covered, including computers, printers, fax machines and photocopiers.
  • Some business stock stored at home may be covered.
  • Public liability up to £5 million included as standard.
  • Access to a 24/7 claims helpline.

What our customers say


Your questions answered

What’s public liability insurance?

Designed to protect you in situations where members of the public make a claim against your business for injury, loss or damage. Public liability insurance can cover legal fees, medical expenses and repair costs. Public liability insurance is not a legal requirement, however, it is recommended that all small businesses have this type of cover.

What’s employer’s liability insurance?

If you are operating a business and have staff then you must take out Employer’s Liability Insurance. This can cover you in the case of claims relating to illness or injury of staff as a direct result of their employment in your company. Up to £2,500 in fines per day can be charged if you do not have this form of insurance in place. Sole traders are exempt from this.

Does business insurance cover office supplies?

At Homeprotect, home business office equipment is covered automatically. This includes computers, printers, fax machines, photocopiers and other administrative equipment belonging to you and used in conjunction with your business at the property.

How is my business insurance premium calculated?

The cost of business insurance can vary depending on the type of cover that you need. As with other home insurance quotes, your premium is determined by the answers you supply surrounding your personal circumstances, your property, the nature of your work and your claims history, among other things.

You should also consider whether you require:

  • Professional indemnity insurance.
  • Public liability insurance.
  • Employer’s liability insurance.
  • Business buildings insurance.
  • Insurance for stock and/or tools.

My home business is growing. What cover do I need?

First of all, congratulations on your success! Now your business is growing there are a few things which you need to pay attention to. For instance, health and safety is paramount and particularly so when you are employing other people. If that is the case then you will also need to look into having employers’ liability insurance. Personal liability insurance and/or public liability insurance are also necessary depending on the number of customers visiting your property. Start a quote for more details of what can be included in a policy.

Is business equipment covered under your policy?

If required, Homeprotect will insure your business contents. This can include furniture and other high risk items such as mobile phones and laptops, however, we suggest that you specify the value of more costly items.

Prefer to talk to us?

Our friendly team can answer your questions

0330 660 1000 9am - 8pm Monday-Friday
9am - 1pm Saturday

You might be interested in…

Smart Lock Insurance

Christmas gifts warning from the ABI

Saturday, 24 November 2012

Insurers have urged householders to keep Christmas gifts secure after dealing with claims totalling £35m in the UK last December.

Continue Reading
Tablet insurance

Homeowners love gadgets | 2018 predictions

Tuesday, 23 May 2017

New research shows that homeowners love to buy gadgets for their properties

Continue Reading
Smart Lock Insurance

Bicycles were Number 1 insurance claim in 2017

Monday, 26 June 2017

UK research shows that bikes were the item most targeted by thieves but only 5% of cyclists have adequate insurance

Continue Reading

Get your business use insurance quote now, it's quick online!

Get a quote