Probate Insurance

Applying for insurance for houses in probate shouldn't be any different to insuring any residential property
Get a quote! Retrieve your quote

Probate property insurance, everything you need to know

When a loved one passes away and their property enters probate, it’s important to make sure the deceased's estate is well cared for. As each case is unique, it can be a fairly lengthy legal process to get all the documentation in order, which can lead to the property remaining empty for long periods of time.

That’s why we’ve created cover that you can get a quick quote for, as well as information on how to maintain the property in the meantime.

Security and peace of mind

While probate is being granted, it is up to the executors to secure the building. Even homes in a good state of repair can quickly degrade. Vacant properties are also targeted by criminals, so keeping the property safe by installing burglar alarms or changing the locks can be another unforeseen expense.

It’s often recommended, and part of the policy terms, that a house in probate is inspected regularly. Installing security equipment approved by your insurer might even be necessary depending on the policy terms and conditions. By taking steps to prevent break-ins, your insurance provider can give you a competitive quote for probate insurance.

Help is at hand. Get a quote online

Get a quote!

Specialist cover

Taking all of the risks of an empty house into account, when an insurance provider is contacted to insure the estate during probate, they will need to verify that the customer has an 'insurable interest' in the property in order to provide cover. Once confirmed, the policy will usually be issued in the name of the executor with any beneficiaries named as additional policyholders.

The final point those seeking probate insurance need to be aware of is that most insurers will not provide cover if a house is left empty for more than thirty days at a time. However, at HomeProtect, as we specialise in providing cover to people in non-standard insurance situations. Our property insurance for probate can cover you and include additional cover options against incidents of theft, vandalism, flooding and many other scenarios.

Just let us know what your current state of affairs is in relation to the property, either online or by phone, and we will take care of the rest.

Having a house not occupied due to my father having passed away can be a nightmare. But with HomeProtect I got a good price and was instantly covered.

Choose HomeProtect. We’ve got your back

  • Save more with security measures
  • Long-term cover for empty properties
  • Basic Legal Expenses cover included
  • Basic Home Emergency cover included
  • 24/7 claims phone line

Start your online quote and see how much you could save

Satisfied customers

This is our second year with homeprotect, great affordable insurance always near the top on comparison sites and has a lot of of extras included in the price. Trustpilot
Good service online and reasonably priced. No big shocks when renewing as an existing customer which makes a change! Trustpilot
Our policy was easy to set up, communication was excellent and the renewal is effortless. Very good service. I would recommend Home Protect insurance. Trustpilot