Home emergency cover

You can add Full Home Emergency cover when you get a quote for home insurance

Get a quote!

Home emergency insurance

What is home emergency cover?

Home emergency cover is provided for a sudden unexpected event at your property, which if not dealt with immediately, presents a risk to your health, leaves your property unsafe, insecure or without mains services, or could cause further damage to your property and contents. 

HomeProtect provides access to a 24/7 emergency helpline and is designed to insure against incidents like leaking pipes. Repairs will be carried out to resolve the emergency but may need to be supplemented by a permanent repair.

For more comprehensive cover, you can upgrade to Full cover which includes unlimited callouts and an increased limit per claim, plus cover for your boiler if it breaks down (depending on its age), and alternative accommodation.

What’s covered by Full Home Emergency?

  • Failure of water, gas or electricity supply

In the event of sudden failure of your domestic power or water supply, a qualified engineer will make repairs.

  • Emergency repairs to boiler

An engineer will inspect and make repairs in the case of sudden boiler failure, except where the water has escaped internally within the boiler.

  • Emergency repairs to heating system

Cover for breakdown of the heating system and its associated fixed indoor pipework.

  • Removal of pests and vermin

Infestation by mice, rats, wasps and hornets in the home is covered. Protected species like bees cannot be removed.

  • Securing external windows, doors and locks

If your home security is at risk, a certified tradesman will make emergency repairs to ensure that your safety is not compromised.

  • Roof damage due to storm

Protecting your home following storms, where damage can cause further internal damage to your property.

  • Overnight accommodation

Overnight accommodation should your property become uninhabitable.

  • Leaking pipes, water tanks and toilets

Emergency repairs for burst pipes and leaking drainage system. If the only toilet is unusable, emergency assistance will be provided.

For full details, check our policy booklet.

Get your quote with emergency assistance included online

Get a quote!

What to do if you have a home emergency:

Step 1: Keep calm and get to a place of safety if necessary.

Step 2: Locate your home insurance documents. With these, you can confirm your policy number. You will need this to start your claim.

Step 3: Call the 24/7 claims line – 0330 660 0660.

Do I need home emergency insurance?

First, check whether you already have home emergency cover. Some banks and home insurance companies provide a basic level of cover as standard, like HomeProtect.

Make sure that you are happy with the level of cover provided. Read the small print because some policies require regular servicing to be up to date to cover the cost of your claim.

HomeProtect cover levels may vary depending on your circumstances. Please refer to the table below or use the downloadable PDF document.

Cover Levels  Basic  Owner Occupied  Holiday Home  B&B  Unoccupied  Weekend/ Weekday  Landlord 
 Cost per month  n/a* £4.17  £4.17  £4.17  £4.17  £4.17  £5.00 
Limit per callout  £200  £500 £300  £300  £300  £300  £500 
Total callout limit per year  £600  Unlimited  £1,500  £1,500  £1,500  £1,500  Unlimited 
Access to 24/7 helpline  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes 
Burst pipes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes 
Roof damage  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes 
Failure of Water/Gas/Electricity  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes 
Emergency repairs to boiler  No  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes 
Emergency repairs to heating system  No  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes 
Alternative accommodation  No  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes  Yes 

*Policies purchased on or after 2nd October 2014 include Basic home emergency cover within the annual premium.

Get your quote online with Home Emergency included

Get a quote!

Prefer to talk to us?

Our friendly team can answer your questions

0330 660 1000 9am - 8pm Monday-Friday
9am - 1pm Saturday

Home emergency cover FAQs

How do I make a claim?

Phone the Claims team as soon as possible on 0330 660 0660. Have your policy number to hand, and details of the loss or damage you have experienced.

Is my boiler covered?

Basic Home Emergency cover, which is included as standard in a HomeProtect policy, does not include boilers. For boiler cover and emergency boiler and heating system repairs, you must upgrade to Full Home Emergency cover. Your boiler must be less than 15 years old and be serviced annually.

Is there a limit per claim?

Basic cover provides up to £200 per claim, up to a maximum of £600 per period of insurance. Full cover includes unlimited callouts and has an increased limit per claim. Please refer to the table above for the different cover levels.

Do I have to pay the tradesperson you send?

No, you don't have to pay the tradesperson in most cases. For Basic cover if the cost falls within the £200 policy limit, we will organise payments to the tradesperson on your behalf. If you purchased Full Home Emergency cover, if the cost falls within the £300 or £500 policy limit (depending on property usage, please refer to the table above), we will organise payments to the tradesperson on your behalf.

What qualifies as a home emergency?

A sudden and unexpected event at your property which if not dealt with immediately will expose you or a third party to a risk to their health, make your property unsafe, insecure or without mains services, or cause further damage to your property and contents.

Who do I call in the case of a home emergency?

In the event of a Home Emergency – please call our 24/7 claims line. Contact us here.

Why isn’t wear and tear covered by home emergency?

Home Emergency cover is intended to deal with issues requiring immediate attention, therefore wear and tear is not covered under the Home Emergency product.

How soon do I need to call to request a home emergency callout?

To ensure we’re able to deal with your home emergency as quickly as possible, please contact us as soon as possible to report your claim.

How many callouts can I request in a year?

The amount of Home Emergency cover you have is dependent on the type of cover you have selected. Please check your Policy schedule to find out what level of cover you chose at the time of purchasing your policy.

What happens if I can’t live in my property because of an emergency?

If your property becomes unsafe to live in due to an insured event that has caused you to make a claim, then you will be able to move into temporary accommodation whilst the repair work is undertaken.

The policy will cover either loss of rent (if your property is let to tenants) or the cost of the alternative accommodation for yourself and other residents.

Please check your Policy Schedule for the maximum amount you can claim for.

Can I use my own plumber, builder or electrician to repair the fault/damage?

Please contact our claims team before using your own tradesperson to attend a fault. Any costs you’ve incurred without prior authorisation will not be covered.

Is ‘trace and access’ covered?

‘Trace and access’ is the process of finding the source of a water or gas leak coming from a concealed pipe. HomeProtect policies protect you against trace and access costs where the leak is a result of a risk that we cover.

What does the included “Basic Home Emergency” cover?

Basic Home Emergency cover provides up to £200 per call out for limited home emergencies including:

  • Burst pipes.
  • Failure of or damage to underground drains or sewers.
  • Failure of the water, gas and electricity supply.
  • Removal of wasp nests, field or house mice or brown rats.
  • Roof damage.

What do I do if my pipes freeze?

  1. Turn off the stop-cock by rotating it clockwise until it is completely closed.
  2. Switch off your heating systems as soon as possible.
  3. Drain excess water from the system. You do this by turning on all the taps and flushing toilets multiple times, until the water stops coming through.
  4. If anything electrical has been affected by the flood, turn off the mains electricity immediately before approaching the wet area. If the flooding is near the mains switch then seek professional assistance and do not approach it.
  5. Check for bulges in the ceilings of rooms beneath the burst pipe, indicating trapped water. Place a bucket underneath the bulge and puncture it to control the drain.
  6. If the pipes require defrosting you should either thaw the pipes gently with a hair-dryer, or seek professional advice if required. Do not attempt to thaw pipes with the central heating as this can make things worse.
  7. Once the initial crisis is under control, you should contact us if you need to start a claim. Please check your Policy Schedule to remind yourself of the insurance underwriter and call our Claims hotline 0330 660 0660 to start the process.

View more questions