SUBJECT ACCESS/ERASURE REQUEST
How to make a Data Protection Subject Access/Erasure Request
This policy concerns personal information held by Avantia Insurance Limited, trading as Homeprotect, your right of access to that information, and how to make a subject access/erasure request.
Definition of ‘personal data’; ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person;
In line with applicable Data Protection Legislation you have the right to access personal data we hold about you. You also have the right, in certain circumstances, to have personal data erased.
WHICH RECORDS ARE COVERED?
Data Protection Legislation provides you with a right of access to/erasure of personal information we hold about you. The right applies to information in our own business records – our files and information systems – and information transferred from suppliers and business partners such as price comparison websites. We shall, however, need sufficient details for us to locate the information readily – we cannot undertake open-ended searches. i.e. if you require a telephone conversation we need to know the date of the call and the telephone number dialled from.
MAKING A REQUEST FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you wish to make a request for information we hold about you, please send us the following information:
- Full name
- Telephone number
- Email address (if applicable)
- Details of the request: are you requesting information on yourself or on behalf of someone else? If you are requesting on someone else’s behalf we will need their details and an explanation as to why you are making the request on their behalf. Describe what information you would like and add any other information you think may be relevant
- Please include the following declaration: I …………………………………………..(name) certify that the information given on this application form to Avantia Insurance Limited is true. I understand that it is necessary for Avantia Insurance Limited to confirm my/the data subject’s identity and it may be necessary to obtain more detailed information in order to locate the correct personal data
You can send this to us via:
- Email to [email protected]
- Give us a call on 0300 660 1000
- You could also get in touch via social media – we are on Facebook and Twitter
- Or put your request in a letter and send it to:
St George’s Square,
Please provide as much detail as possible to help us find the information. The more details you can provide, the more likely we are to be able to find the information you seek.
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
We may need to request specific information from you to confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month but it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
How will we send the personal information?
We will send your personal data to you in a password protected file, attached to an email. We will provide the password via a separate medium, i.e. telephone or SMS.