Is your home built from

unusual materials?

  • We cover more than brick, slate and tile.
  • Concrete, pre-fabricated and eco-homes covered.
  • Defaqto 5 Star rated.
  • Reinstatement in same materials, to original design.
Get a quote!

Non-standard home insurance

Houses built from non-standard materials can be harder to insure because of their increased risks

Non-standard materials can cause your premium to increase because the risks that affect the property can be greater. It is typically more difficult and costly to maintain a building of non-standard construction. This is often the case with listed buildings, where traditional methods must be carried out by a specialist tradesman to preserve the historical importance of the property.

For this reason, you will likely need to source non-standard building insurance from a specialist provider like HomeProtect. The more details that you can provide, the more likely you are to find the right nonstandard house insurance at the right price for your unique property.

Specify all of the building materials used

When asking for a non-standard construction home insurance quote, bear in mind that some concrete and prefab or prefabricated reinforced concrete (PRC) homes (such as Hawksley PRC houses)  have a brick façade. You need to list all of the building materials used to be properly covered in the event of a claim. If in doubt, a qualified surveyor can help.

What is non-standard construction insurance?

What is non-standard construction insurance?

It’s not only the building materials that can classify a house as non-standard. Understand more in this quick run-down of examples of non-standard circumstances.

Read the article

What materials are considered non-standard?

  • Timber frames.
  • Steel frames.
  • Concrete.
  • Corrugated iron.
  • Plastic.
  • Glass.
  • Fibreglass.
  • Asbestos.
  • Flint.
  • Asphalt.
  • Shingle.
  • Eco-friendly materials including green roofs.
  • Cob, and wattle and daub.
  • Prefab/HUF Haus.

We also cover passive houses and zero energy buildings (ZEBs) built with non-standard construction materials.

Non-standard home insurance

  • Up to £500,000 for loss or damage to the structure of your property or permanent fixtures.
  • Standard policy protects the property, outbuildings and fixtures and fittings against fire, storm and escape of water.
  • Public liability up to £5 million available.
  • Access to a 24/7 claims helpline.
Defaqto 5 Star home business insurance
Concrete homes

Buying and repairing concrete houses

Read more
Concrete walls and roof

Concrete home advice

Read more
Buying a non-standard home 2018

Buying a non-standard home 2018

Read more
Non-standard construction materials

Non-standard construction materials

Read more for tax relief

Planning to build a non-standard construction

Read more
Unusual property designs

Unusual property designs

Read more
Self-build house insurance

Self-build house insurance

Read more
Types of flat green roof

Types of flat green roof

Read more

What our customers say

Your questions answered

non-standard construction insurance

Non-standard construction insurance FAQs

Need more information? Visit our non-standard construction insurance FAQs section and get the answers that you need to protect your unique listed property.

Learn more

Very helpful company in initial setting up of account. Special circumstances recognised and dealt with professionally.
16 March 2017

Mr Scott, Cheshire

Prefer to talk to us?

Our friendly team can answer your questions

0330 660 1000 9am - 8pm Monday-Friday
9am - 1pm Saturday

Get your non-standard construction house insurance quote online now!

Get a quote