Unoccupied property insurance

Protect your empty residential property and its contents with vacant property insurance

Buildings insurance for unoccupied property

A typical insurance policy does not provide adequate cover for vacant homes, which are usually classed as being left empty for 30 consecutive days or more.

Vacant property insurance from HomeProtect includes:

  • Up to £500,000 for insured loss or damage to the structure of your property or permanent fixtures.
  • Up to £25,000 legal expenses cover to pay for legal support for property disputes and contract disputes.
  • Access to a 24/7 home emergency helpline, plus up to £600 cover to temporarily fix burst pipes, roof damage or failure of utilities.
  • Cover for renovations with a one-off fee (for any duration of building works).
Insuring an empty house gives you peace of mind

9 steps to prepare your empty property

Nine important things to do to avoid exclusions on your policy and prevent malicious damage to your empty house.

Watch the video

Do I need unoccupied home insurance?

There are many situations that cause you to leave your home empty, including:

The price of cover is determined by a range of factors, such as the rebuild cost of the property, it's location, security and, of course, the reason it's empty.

Insuring an unoccupied property with HomeProtect can also cover renovations for as long as you need, or can protect a vacant house during probate. We can insure the building and any contents, and will also protect against common claims such as malicious damage, vandalism or fire.

Away in the Armed Forces

Away in the Armed Forces

Read more
Empty home for sale

Empty home for sale

Read more
Long overseas holiday

Long overseas holiday

Read more
Why an empty home is more risky

Why an empty home is more risky

Read more
Unoccupied house when you are working overseas

Working abroad

Read more

Away in hospital or care home

Read more

What our customers say

Your questions answered

Unoccupied house insurance

Unoccupied home insurance FAQs

We’ve prepared some helpful answers to your questions about unoccupied homes and about how our unoccupied insurance policy works.

Learn more

As an overseas resident with an empty rental property, I needed some help. Called and spoke with a guy who made the whole thing a relaxing and (gasp) enjoyable experience.
15 Feb 2017

Catherine via Trustpilot

Prefer to talk to us?

Our friendly team can answer your questions

0330 660 1000 9am - 8pm Monday-Friday
9am - 1pm Saturday

Renewing later?

Which month does your home insurance renew?

Tell us to receive special offers from us by email at the right time.

Plus we'll enter you in a £100 voucher prize draw now!

You might be interested in…

Burglary trends UK

Burglars Are Becoming More Strategic

Friday, 23 May 2014

Watch out for the latest burglary tactic

Continue Reading
EDMOs and Empty Homes

EDMOs And Empty Homes

Thursday, 04 September 2014

If you own an unoccupied property and it is not currently up for sale/rent, subject to probate resolution or being used as a holiday home, then you should be aware of the council’s authority to impose an EDMO.

Continue Reading
Empty home insurance

Tips to Keep Your Empty Home Safe

Thursday, 14 April 2016

The normal amount of time you can leave your home empty on a standard home insurance policy is 30 days. Even one day over that will mean that your house won’t be covered, and you will need unoccupied house insurance.

Continue Reading

Need unoccupied insurance? Get a quote, it only takes 10 mins

Get a quote