Listed building home insurance
tailored to your needs
- We cover all listing grades and categories and any age of property.
- Our specialist underwriters understand your property as much as you do.
- We cover valuables, antiques and art.
- Up to £5m public liability cover for domestic staff.
- Reinstatement in same materials, to original design.
Listed building insurance
Protecting homes with architectural or historical significance
Listed properties tend to have a greater rebuild cost than standard homes, meaning that insuring your listed building can involve larger premiums. This is why it's important to work with a specialist insurance provider such as HomeProtect, as we understand listed building construction and so we can help you achieve the best possible quote for your circumstances. If in doubt, contact a Quantity Surveyor to arrange a Professional Rebuilding Cost Assessment.
To reduce the risk of claiming on your property, you should carry out a regular inspection of your listed property, keeping your eyes peeled for damage to the roof, drainage issues and damp patches.
Grades of listed buildings explained
Because a number of buildings will sometimes be recorded in a single listing, the exact number of listed properties in the UK is not known. It is estimated to be around 500,000. There are varying categories for England and Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.
Maintaining a listed property
If you own a listed property, you are responsible for its maintenance. This can be a difficult task, considering that many of the techniques used to build the house may have fallen out of use. For this, you will need a specialist contractor. Traditionally, specialist works are more expensive, which is a primary reason for seeking specialist house insurance for a listed property.
Before you undertake any work on your listed house you must seek permission from your local authority. This applies to both internal and external changes to the property. Your local council, and in some cases a body like Historic England, will ultimately decide whether you can go ahead with renovations or repair work. This is to ensure that the aspects of the listed property which are of special interest are not lost.
Listing covers the complete interior and exterior of the listed building and can also extend to fixtures. Common difficulties for listed home owners include changing doors, window glazing, outbuildings and even fitting burglar alarms.
Insurance for listed buildings
- HomeProtect can insure all listed grades and categories in the UK.
- £500K rebuild cost, taking the use of original building materials and methods into account (more available if your property needs it).
- Discount available for combined Buildings and Contents.
- Public liability up to £5 million available.
- Access to a 24/7 claims helpline.