Protect your biggest asset

Quick and easy to buy online

  • Specify the rebuild cost you need.
  • Cover for homeowners and landlords.
  • Garages, sheds and summer houses included.
  • Buildings Defaqto 5 Star rated.
Get a quote!

Buildings insurance

Providing you with excellent levels of insurance cover to protect your residential building

Buildings insurance

Our buildings insurance covers your home against losses from fire, storm, flood, vandalism, burglary, vehicle collision and subsidence.

Buildings insurance covers not only the main building but also things such as interior decorations, fixtures and fittings (e.g. carpets), garages, domestic outbuildings, drives, patios, gates, fences, walls, swimming pools and tennis courts within the boundary of the property.

HomeProtect can provide buildings insurance for homes that are classed as "hard to insure" by others, such as listed buildings, steel framed buildings or those near water. Find out more about the different property types and situations that we can cover.

Cover up to £1 million

Normally a HomeProtect buildings insurance policy provides up to £1 million to rebuild your buildings, although more is available if your property needs it. We recommend that you check how much your property would cost to rebuild before getting a quote, avoiding the complications and disappointment of under-insurance in the event of a claim.

No claims discount available

If you haven’t made a claim for a long time, you’ll be rewarded with a less expensive premium. A HomeProtect buildings insurance policy can be reduced in price by up to 25% through a no claims discount.

Situations we can cover:

For a full list of what is covered and details of cover limits please refer to the HomeProtect policy booklets.

Drainage insurance

Drainage insurance

Learn how to avoid blocked drains – and what you should do if they do become blocked.

Read the article

What our customers say


Your questions answered

What is a building insurance?

Buildings insurance is a policy that protects the structural aspects of a property, such as the walls, roof, fixtures and fittings against loss or damage. Buildings insurance will cover the rebuild cost of your home; this is not the same as the property’s market value.

What’s the difference between buildings insurance and contents insurance?

Buildings insurance covers the structure of the home together with its fixtures and fittings: it covers the cost of repair or rebuilding after fire or weather damage for instance. Contents Insurance covers the contents of your home, the possessions you would take with you if you moved house.

Will my Buildings Insurance cover my outbuildings, such as the garage and shed?

Yes. All domestic garages, outbuildings, sheds, extensions and conservatories fall under the definition of Buildings and are covered by your Buildings insurance. Please check that the level of cover included in the policy is enough to rebuild all your outbuildings.

Do you need buildings insurance on a flat?

If you own the freehold of your flat, you should take out buildings insurance. If you live in a leasehold flat, or are a tenant, your landlord has responsibility for sourcing buildings insurance.

What does the building insurance cover?

Buildings insurance covers the full rebuild cost of the property as well as the cost of repair for loss or damage to the structure of your house. Risks covered usually include fire, lightning, explosion, storm, flood, subsidence as well as damage to outbuildings or other areas within the boundary of the property

How do I find out when my property was built?

When you purchased the property a homebuyer’s survey is likely to have included the date of construction.

Your local authority may have a record of when planning permission was granted to build the property.

Your neighbours may have an idea of when the property was built.

Note: A rough estimate of the property construction date is enough for the purposes of getting your home insurance quote.

If you have a heritage property, here are some steps to take:

  • Search for your property for free in the 1862 Act register on Land Registry’s digital archives (at
  • Look at the architectural style and features of the house, particularly the roof and windows.
  • Check your county record offices, local parish records or ask to view local archives at your library.
  • Look for old copies of Ordnance Survey maps for your area (local library).
  • Google for a local historian or a historical society and contact them to see if they can help you.
  • Look at census data between 1841 and 1911 to find the first year that the address was mentioned.

I don't understand all the technical terms, can you help?

We've put together a handy glossary of buildings insurance terms to make all understanding policies and phrases easier for you.


Prefer to talk to us?

Our friendly team can answer your questions

0330 660 1000 9am - 8pm Monday-Friday
9am - 1pm Saturday

You might be interested in…

Buy-to-let landlords defy extinction threat

Buy-to-let landlords defy extinction threat

Tuesday, 31 October 2017

New data shows that far from being driven to extinction by tax changes, the proportion of landlords who are buy-to-let is actually growing not dropping.

Continue Reading
Save money, put more money in your piggy bank

21 secret ways to save money on your home insurance

Friday, 17 November 2017

To help you afford the vital protection the home insurance gives you, HomeProtect has compiled a helpful list of 'secret' ways to save money.

Continue Reading
Top 10 unusual home insurance claims - squirrels

Top 10 most unusual claims of 2017

Monday, 04 December 2017

HomeProtect receives calls from customers making many strange claims every year, but 2017 certainly has been an interesting year!

Continue Reading

Need buildings insurance? Get a quote, it only takes 10 mins

Get a quote