If the property you let out is mortgaged, your lender will almost certainly require you to have buildings insurance in place as a condition of the loan. As there are extra risks associated with properties which are not owner-occupied, standard home insurance is unlikely to give you adequate cover. Landlord buildings insurance is designed to take situations involving tenants into account.