Frequently asked questions

listed buildings faqs

Search for a topic or select a category to find answers to some of our most asked questions.

listed Home insurance FAQS

You will need to apply for Listed Building Consent prior to any of the following works being undertaken:

  • Alterations, both internally and externally, which affect the character of a listed building.
  • Extensions.
  • Demolitions.
  • Partial demolitions.

To summarise, all works other than minor ‘like for like’ repairs would require Listed Building Consent.

In all cases you should seek advice from the Planning Services Section.

Yes, inclusion on the Statutory List does not necessarily prevent alteration or extension, although Listed Building Consent will also be required, in addition to normal planning permission.

It is generally possible to find satisfactory ways to make additions or alterations, with specialist and/or professional advice and guidance. This work requires great skill and care in order to conserve the historic features, character and setting of the building. If you wish to carry out such works you are strongly recommended to contact one of the regional professional bodies to find a consultant specialising in historic building work.

Yes, but only if the building is decaying very badly. Local authorities have two main powers to halt the deterioration of a listed building and the serving of an urgent works notice or a repairs notice.

Some Grade I or Grade II listed buildings may be eligible for grant aid.

When you purchased the property a homebuyer’s survey is likely to have included the date of construction. 

Alternatively, your local authority may have a record of when planning permission was granted to build the property. Your neighbours may also have an idea of when the property was built.

Note: A rough estimate of the property construction date is enough for the purposes of getting your home insurance quote.

If you have a heritage property, here are some steps to take:

  • Search for your property for free in the 1862 Act register on Land Registry’s digital archives.
  • Look at the architectural style and features of the house, particularly the roof and windows.
  • Check your county record offices, local parish records or ask to view local archives at your library.
  • Look for old copies of Ordnance Survey maps for your area (local library).
  • Google for a local historian or a historical society and contact them to see if they can help you.
  • Look at census data between 1841 and 1911 to find the first year that the address was mentioned.

If your home is a Listed Building or it was built before 1720, you will need to consult a Chartered surveyor or a specialist property valuer to provide you with an accurate rebuild cost.

England: Historic England
Scotland: Historic Scotland
Wales: Cadw
Northern Ireland: NI Direct

Yes, sometimes the special character of a building has been overlooked and it is not included on the list. If this is the case anyone can request that a building be considered for listing.

View more FAQs

woman on laptop next to window

Get a home insurance quote online

Get a quote online in less than 10 minutes*