Tax on Furnished Holiday Homes

HomeProtect-01 September 2014

Renting out your furnished holiday home already requires a large amount of organisation. One thing to ensure you stay on top of is the tax on your furnished holiday home.

Holiday Home Insurance

Holiday Home Insurance


Tax and your furnished holiday home

When you rent out a property as a furnished holiday letting in the UK, your rental income is treated differently to other rental incomes in terms of tax. For this to be the case, your property must conform to a certain number of rules or "qualifying tests". Firstly, it must be located within the UK or European Economic Area (EEA). Secondly, it must be furnished. Thirdly, it must be available as a commercial letting to the public as holiday accommodation for a minimum of 140 days per year, and must be let for at least 70 days per year (with rent charged at the going market rate). Finally, letting periods must be on a short term basis not exceeding 31 days (though if they do exceed 31 days, then the period will not count towards qualification).

Long-term occupation

Periods of longer than 31 days count as "longer term occupation" and if they exceed 155 days per tax year then the property will not qualify as a furnished holiday letting. This does not mean that the same person cannot rent the property for a number of separate periods that would total up over 31 days, as long as they are in occupation with marked intervals of not being in occupation in between. If your property does not qualify as a furnished holiday letting, then you will be taxed under the residential property lettings rules. You work out your taxable profit on holiday lettings in the same way you would a normal rental income; only instead of "wear and tear" allowance, you claim "capital allowances".

Tax advantages

There may be a tax advantage if your property qualifies as a furnished holiday letting if you a) make a loss on your rental income, or b) you sell or otherwise dispose of the property. If you make a loss on your rental income and your business is run on a commercial basis, any loss can be offset against your other income and not just your property income to reduce your overall tax bill. Alternatively, you might be able to carry the loss forward to offset it against future letting profits. Selling or otherwise disposing of the property can allow you to take advantage of a capital gains tax relief, like a "Business Asset Roll-Over Relief". This means that by reinvesting sale proceeds within three years in specified new assets, you might be able to defer payment of Capital Gains Tax until the new assets are eventually disposed of. These are simplifications of the potential tax benefits, so further research may be required to fully understand the rules.

Self-assessment tax return

Furnished holiday lettings rental income needs to be declared as part of the land and property section of your Self-Assessment tax return. Some expenses relating to your property might also be taken into account to help you reduce your tax bill, so it is well worth looking into what you can and cannot deduct. You will need to keep a record of all the rent you receive and the dates your property is occupied for, as well as a record of all of your business expenditure. You will also need to have copies of all sales receipts, invoices and bank statements. All records and documents mentioned will need to be kept on file for six years. Though in 2009 the furnished holiday lettings rules with regards to Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax were due to be withdrawn, the June 2010 emergency budget announced that this was no longer scheduled to take place, so all rules continue to apply.


Whether your second home is unoccupied for periods of more than 30 days at a time, or it is fully booked year round as a furnished holiday letting, you will need to make sure your holiday home insurance policy is suitable for your needs. Many standard home insurance policies will not cover a property that is left empty for long periods, or occupied by multiple guests without the owner being present. With HomeProtect, this is not the case. We can provide you with a competitive online quote for both unoccupied insurance and holiday home insurance, no matter what type of occupancy might be applicable.

Unique online quote service

Get UK holiday home insurance online cover today

At HomeProtect we are very proud of our unique, award-winning, online quote service which can quote for 97.5% of all circumstances online, far outstripping our nearest competitor. That means we can offer you a level of convenience you will not find elsewhere. So what are you waiting for? Get your UK holiday home immediately covered online.

Looking for holiday home information?

Find out what you need here

What are the holiday home hotspots this year in the UK? How do I go about finding a caretake for my holiday home? What do I need to know about buying a holiday home this year?

All these questions and more are answered in our holiday home article directory, a taster of which can be found in the links to the right.

Want more info about holiday homes?

We have some great links for you

The Web is a vast pool of information a lot of which is fantastically useful and a lot of which is absolutely terrible. We've identified a number of authoritative websites which contain really useful information about holiday homes. 

For a sample of these, browse through the list of links to the right.