• Buildings, contents and combined home insurance policies.
  • Wide range of circumstances covered.
  • We’ve insured 100,000s of customers.
  • Get a home insurance quote in only 10 minutes*.
Libby Goodsearles

Written by

Libby Goodsearles

Head of Marketing

Josie Shepherd

Reviewed by

Josie Shepherd

Senior Brand and Communications Manager

Less than 1 minute

Updated: 11 Jul 2024

What is home insurance?

Home insurance, also called house insurance or homeowners insurance provides you with financial protection if your property suffers loss or damage by an insured event. An insured event can include fire, water damage from a leak, burglary or flooding.

Buildings insurance and contents insurance are the two types of home insurance.

Buildings insurance covers your home’s main structure (roof, walls) and interior decorations, fixtures, and fittings such as carpets. It also covers garages, garden sheds, driveways, patios, gates, and walls on the property.

Contents insurance protects your movable belongings in your home.

A combined insurance policy is where you buy buildings and contents insurance at the same time – this is generally cheaper than buying them individually.

Do I need home insurance?

People choose to have home insurance to cover themselves against large repair or replacement costs, following an insured event, that they may not be able to afford.

Should you be a homeowner, almost all mortgage providers require you to have a buildings insurance policy for your home. This might be arranged by the freeholder if you are a leaseholder. If you’re a renter, you are not required to have buildings insurance but you may choose to purchase contents insurance to protect your belongings.

How much does home insurance cost?

Home insurance prices vary on a wide range of factors including, for example, the rebuild cost, property type and size, the area the home is in and the value of the contents. The best way to find out is to get a quote online. Our own online quote service can provide a quote for 97% of properties in the UK. Once you have a quote you can typically also buy it online.

What do I need to get a home insurance quote?

To get a quote for a Homeprotect home insurance policy go to our quote site here and fill out the form about your property, its contents, usage and residents. It takes 10 minutes on average*.

Why should I get home insurance with Homeprotect?

Homeprotect buildings and contents policies are rated 5 star by Moneyfacts, whilst our buildings insurance is rated 5 star by Defaqto. As standard we provide basic home emergency and legal expenses cover. We cover a range of non-standard properties including those that are unoccupied, holiday homes, second homes, under renovation, used as a place of business and in flood zones.

Home Insurance Reviews

woman on laptop next to window

Get a home insurance quote online

Get a quote online in less than 10 minutes*

What’s covered by BUILDINGS & contents insurance?

Home insurance provides financial protection if you need to repair your home or replace your belongings after they’ve been stolen, damaged or destroyed.

It comes in two parts: buildings insurance (cover against damage to the property itself) and contents insurance (for damaged or stolen items within the home). These can be combined or bought separately, so the first step is deciding which option is better for you.

What we offer

Quick home emergency response times

Have a home emergency, such as electricity failure, faulty locks or vermin infestation? With the 24/7 Home Emergency cover, which we provide as standard, you can typically get an engineer at your home within four hours. And if you’re worried about an uncontrollable leak in your home, we aim to have an emergency plumber to you within two hours.

Extreme weather conditions may extend response time. Policy terms and claim limits apply.

5 star rated buildings cover

Our building insurance has been given the highest rating by independent financial research companies, Defaqto and Moneyfacts.

Repair guarantee

Any buildings work we undertake is guaranteed for 24 months following a claim and any contents repair work we undertake is guaranteed for 12 months.

New for old

Where we replace an item, we will do our best to meet the original specification on a ‘new for old’ basis. If we can’t find an exact replacement, we’ll offer you a suitable alternative, or a full cash settlement.

Legal advice

We provide Legal Protection cover as standard, giving you access to telephone legal advice on any personal legal issue, under the laws of the UK, any European Union country, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Switzerland and Norway.

What isn’t included?

Damage cause gradually, or by wear and tear, or by failure to fix a known issue.

Faulty design or poor workmanship.

Damage caused by pets.

The cost of repairing or replacing items following a mechanical or electrical fault.

Lost items.

buildings & Contents Insurance Cover Levels

Our home insurance is designed to protect your home against insured events such as fire, storm, flood, escape of water, theft, malicious damage, subsidence, landslip or heave.

Buildings cover

Covers the main structure of your home, including attached garages and conservatories, if you need to rebuild or repair it following an insured loss. Also covers permanent outdoor structures such as driveways, patios and boundary walls.  

£1 million

(more cover available if you need it) 

Contents cover

Covering the value of the possessions you could take with you when moving home, such as furniture, clothing, valuables, appliances, fittings, entertainment equipment, gadgets and bikes, following an insured loss. Cover provided on a new for old basis. 

from £25,000

Alternative accommodation

Covers the cost of alternative accommodation for you and your pets, together with reasonable expenses (e.g. travel, food, laundry) if you can’t live in your home (or where you’ve been advised to evacuate) due to an insured loss. 

up to £85,000

Home emergency

Covers sudden, unexpected emergencies, such as uncontrollable water leaks, that require immediate corrective action to prevent or limit damage to your home, or make your home secure. Two levels of cover are available, for different types of insured loss. 

up to £500

Family legal protection

Covers legal costs following an insured loss. There must be reasonable prospects of winning and the incident must have occurred during the policy term. Two levels of cover are available, for different types of insured loss. 

up to £25,000

Trace and access

Covers the cost of detecting the source of a water or oil leak to your home or outbuildings. Includes reinstating any wall, floor, ceiling, drive, fence or path removed or damaged during the search (up to the claim limit).  

up to £10,000

Outbuildings cover

Covers rebuild or repair of your outbuildings (e.g. detached garages, greenhouses, sheds and summerhouses) that are within the boundary or a communal area you’re legally responsible for, if you need to rebuild or repair them following an insured loss. 

from £20,000

Liability cover

Covers damages and claimants’ costs and expenses for your legal liability in the event of accidental death, injury or illness to a third party, or damage to property belonging to a third party. 

up to £5 million

Personal possessions

Covers items likely to be worn, carried or used by you away from your home (e.g. bags, clothes and sports equipment) in the event of physical damage or theft. Cover provided anywhere in the world. 


Gadgets, bikes and valuables away from the home

Cover for electronic gadgets (e.g. mobile phones, laptops, tablets etc), bikes (including electrically assisted bikes), valuables (e.g. watches and jewellery), equipment (e.g. hearing aids) and other expensive or high risk items that you take out of your home. 


Accidental damage

Covers sudden, unexpected and unforeseen events around the house (e.g. spillages or breakages) that result in physical damage and which was caused by you, your guests, a third party or wild animals. Two levels of cover are available


New Customer?

If you’re deciding on whether to buy home insurance with us, you can use our latest policy booklets as a guide.

Existing Customer?

Your Questions Answered

Carpets are covered as a fitting under both our buildings and contents insurance policies. A fitting is a removable item that is attached to the interior or exterior of your home and outbuildings. If you require carpets to be covered for accidental damage, you need to opt in for it at an additional cost to our core home insurance policies.

Suitable locks (see below) must be fitted and fully operational when you’re away from your home.

  • External doors: BS3621/BS8621 or TS621:2018 level locks 
  • Sealed double-glazed doors: multi-point locking system.
  • Patio doors: patent door locks to prevent lifting.
  • French doors: bolts at the top and bottom of each.

Yes. All domestic garages, outbuildings, sheds, extensions and conservatories fall under the definition of outbuildings and are covered by your Buildings insurance. Please check that the level of cover included in the policy is enough to rebuild all your outbuildings.

One possible way to do this is to opt for a higher voluntary excess. You will have more deducted off your claims settlement if you need to claim, however your premium will be cheaper. Another way is to consider your home insurance needs and whether the optional cover, such as accidental damage, is necessary for you. A third way is to ensure you have secure locks and an alarm system at your property.

Insurance companies price policies based on the risk that a claim will be made on a certain policy. The higher the risk and potential cost of the claim, the higher the insurance premium. Postcode can be a factor in pricing insurance policies, for example a property in an area that regularly has floods typically will have a higher premium. An area with a precedent for a low level of claims could potentially have lower average premiums. There are other things in your control that you can do to reduce your premiums, for example. by having secure locks and having an alarm system at your property.

We can cover your possessions away from home like jewellery and phones as an add on to our core home insurance policy. To ensure you are covered specify high-risk items, electronic gadgets and bikes on your policy when getting a quote.

An excess is the amount you need to contribute towards the cost of a claim. It is typically deducted from the final claims settlement, as opposed to an amount you need to pay up front. Typically, the higher the agreed excess, the lower the monthly premiums. A standard excess typically applies and a policyholder can supplement this with an additional voluntary excess, as a way to reduce their premium.

View more FAQs

Prefer to SPEAK WITH us?

Our insurance experts are on hand if you have any questions.