Why an empty home is higher risk

Empty homes are more likely to suffer damage when no-one is living there
Get a quote

Protect your property from break-ins, vandalism, fire and many more hazards.

Empty homes need specialist unoccupied property insurance because without a homeowner or tenant in-situ they are more susceptible to break-ins, vandalism, degradation, fire and many more potential hazards.

Unoccupied house insurance is often needed on a short term basis, such as when houses are pending sale or occupation by a new owner.

There are also instances when properties will be left empty for many months or even years, such as during probate, when you are in hospital long term or while you are undertaking renovation works.

In each of these situations, without you being present to maintain and take care of your home, the property is more at risk. A standard home insurance policy may not be equipped to protect your empty property.

It is for this reason that you should switch to unoccupied insurance from a specialist insurance provider. You should inform your insurer that your house will be empty as soon as possible.

We, and most other insurance providers, define unoccupied as a house that is left vacant for 30 consecutive days or more.

Insurers will not pay for loss or damage caused by your failure to safeguard your property at all times, so you must take precautions to minimise the risks.

This could include but is not limited to locking all external doors and windows, ensuring that someone checks on the property once a week, and turning off all sources of electricity, fuel and water.



Looking for an unoccupied insurance quote? Start here

Get a quote

Prefer to talk to us?

Our friendly team can answer your questions

0330 660 1000 9am - 8pm Monday-Friday
9am - 1pm Saturday