The key to developing a sustainable income from your holiday home is to make sure your guests have a brilliant experience in your property. Get this right and they will leave good reviews, recommend you to friends and might come back again. All essential for ongoing success of your holiday let.
So what do your holiday home guests want? Not surprisingly, they want what has been promised and nothing less! That’s sounds simple but there’s quite a lot to it, so HomeProtect have produced this simple guide.
- Cleanliness – Everything has to be spotless, fresh and in a good state of repair.
- Wi-Fi – This really is an essential nowadays and no, you shouldn’t charge for it.
- Instructions on how to make the most of the house, including what’s in the surrounding area and essential phone numbers for emergencies.
- Check that all appliances work and are easy to use, or include instructions.
- Unless you’re a city break destination, parking is essential. Your guests have travelled a long way so make it easy and secure for them.
- Some sort of welcome pack so they can make the most of the house from the get-go!
- Full insurance with home emergency – If anything goes wrong they want to make sure everything is covered and will get fixed quickly so ensure you have adequate holiday lettings insurance in place.
- A full set of kitchen equipment – they’re on holiday so preparing meals becomes a pleasure rather than a chore. Make sure your kitchen is stocked with all the right kit.
Avoid The Unpleasant
- Clutter – Everything should be tidy. You’re guests are on holiday so keep the clutter to a minimum.
- No smells – When cleaning after the last guests open the windows or get the air freshener out.
- Whilst it’s thoughtful to leave books, videos & board games for rainy days make sure you don’t stock anything that some may find offensive or inappropriate for children.
- Animal hair and cigarette smoke smells are a massive turn off for guests.
- Bad furniture. It doesn’t need to be modern and of course it needs to be robust but there’s no excuse for tat either. So get rid of those polypropylene carpets and the avocado coloured plastic bath suite.
The right holiday house insurance is just as essential for the ongoing success of your lettings as delivering what your guests wantGet a quote!
Surprise And Delight (Stuff they’ll remember and talk about in reviews)
- Guides to the best local places to visit can make it easy for them to decide how they will have a good time. A few personal recommendations are always appreciated.
- A homemade cake or a bottle of wine. A few carefully chosen items can make a huge difference in being made to feel welcome. If you can, source local produce.
- Pop round after a few days to make sure they’re ok and just have a chat, or give them a quick call to check that they have everything they need.
- Toiletries, fluffy towels and dressing gowns can be a real treat. Simple, but effective. Think boutique hotel!
- A concierge service. This sounds posher than it is, when basically it’s giving them your phone number and encouraging them to ring with any questions.