David Joyson

Written by

David Joyson

Home Insurance Expert & Customer Champion

Josie Shepherd

Reviewed by

Josie Shepherd

Brand Marketing Manager

Less than 1 minute

Updated: 7 Feb 2024

What you need to know about refuse collection at your holiday home

Owners of furnished holiday lets that are available for booking for more than 140 days per year need to registered them with their local council as they count as self-catering properties on which business rates (rather than Council Tax) are payable.

Local authority rubbish disposal charges

Paying business rates can often this might work out cheaper than council tax, but you need to be aware that refuse collection is not usually included in business rates and may be charged separately. You can arrange to have rubbish collected by the council, or by a private contractor. 

Local authorities also have the power to to charge for the disposal of rubbish as well.

In England, businesses that have a rateable value of under £15,000 are elligible for Small Business Rate relief, and if you get this, you are usually exempt from waste disposal charges. 

Council tax

If your holiday home is just for your own personal use, and is not available for booking for more than 140 days a year, you need to pay council tax and will subsequently have access to the usual domestic refuse collection services. Because every area is different, you should find out the regulations for your local area.

Recycling rules might be different to those employed in the area where your primary residence is located, so remember to adjust accordingly. 

Recommended by our customers

72% Saved money when they switched to Homeprotect*