Landlords buildings insurance

Building insurance cover for landlords with residential rental properties
Get a Quote

Our landlord buildings insurance protects your property against losses from risks like fire, storm and flood. This gives you peace of mind should the unexpected happen. Our policies provide cover of up to £1 million for insured loss or damage to the structure of your property or permanent fixtures.

If you’re a live-in landlord with a lodger living in your own home, check out our specialist insurance cover for homeowners with lodgers instead.

Please note: HomeProtect landlord buildings insurance covers residential properties. We are unable to insure commercial premises such as shops or offices.

What does HomeProtect landlord buildings insurance cover?

HomeProtect landlord buildings insurance policies not only cover the main building but also outbuildings within the boundary of the property. as well as fixtures and fittings.

What you get

  • Up to £30,000 per claim for loss of rent if the property becomes uninhabitable due to an insured loss.
  • Up to £7,500 per claim of cover for your contents at the property when there is damage which affects the building at the same time (e.g. if there’s a fire).
  • Up to £7,500 for rebuilding or repairing outbuildings.
  • Public liability cover up to £5 million.
  • Cover for the main building for collision damage by a vehicle.
  • Up to £1,500 per claim for basic accidental damage to: windows, bathroom fixtures and fittings, ceramic hobs, and underground pipes and cables.
  • 24hrs claims phone line.

Are you a residential landlord?

Get a Quote

Don’t forget!

As a landlord, you need to let us know if the number of tenants (including children) living in your property changes, or if it’s going to be unoccupied for more than 21 days, for example, during a void period between tenants.

Upgrade your landlord buildings insurance policy

HomeProtect also offers a number of options to protect you against the risks you might face as a landlord:

Read our policy booklets for full details

Frequently asked questions

Do I need landlord buildings insurance?

If the property you let out is mortgaged, your lender will almost certainly require you to have buildings insurance in place as a condition of the loan. As there are extra risks associated with properties which are not owner-occupied, standard home insurance is unlikely to give you adequate cover. Landlord buildings insurance is designed to take situations involving tenants into account.

Do I need landlords insurance by law?

No, but if your property is mortgaged, your lender will almost certainly require you to have buildings insurance in place as a condition of the loan.

Do I need landlord insurance for a flat?

Leaseholders do not normally need buildings cover for flats in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. If you decide that you don’t need buildings insurance cover for a flat you rent out, make sure that you have adequate alternative cover for fixtures and fittings such as carpets and curtains.

I’m the landlord for a small office. Do you cover commercial property?

No. HomeProtect landlord buildings insurance is for residential properties.

What happens if I have voids between tenants?

If your property is going to be empty for more than 21 consecutive days, you need to let us know.


"Had landlord insurance with other "Just" company for many years kept creeping up a little each time so shopped around and saved myself £100" Wednesday, 04 May 2022

Get an online quote for landlord buildings insurance now

Get a Quote

Satisfied customers

I had to change insurers when I started to let my property as previous insurers did not deal with landlord insurance. Very helpful and clear guidance made the process very easy, and very good quote. Absolutely essential firm to use if your property has had any previous issues such as structural problems, or is any way different to the norm. Could not recommend highly enough. Trustpilot, 22 March 2022
It is very convenience for every Landlord to issue a new insurance or renewal via internet. The policy handbook is clearly to show the details of all items, so that I can easily to choose what I want. Trustpilot, 18 May 2022
The cover offered, particularly as a landlord, is outstanding. The cost is highly competitive and the reminders in advance of the renewal date are a great help. We have found that staff who answer the telephones are well informed, friendly and helpful. We wouldn't go anywhere else. Trustpilot, 19 September 2017