Finding Temporary Accommodation After Flooding

Flooding and temporary accomodation

The first thing you will need to do when returning to your home is contact your flooding insurance provider. They will probably arrange for a loss adjuster to contact you (who may then visit you at your home to assess the scale of the damage). In severe cases of flood damage, your loss adjuster may appoint a surveyor for additional perspective when assessing cost of repairs and developing a timetable for completion of work.

Seek advice

When you first contact your insurer, you will need to ask what you should do if you need temporary accommodation. Depending on your cover and the damage done to your home, your insurer may agree that you should stay elsewhere until a loss adjuster can discuss more long-term solutions with you. This might mean staying in a hotel, with friends or family. If this requires any expenditure on your part, you should always keep any receipts. A loss adjuster will be able to provide you with information about how long you can expect to wait before your home is reinstated.

Damage assessment

Loss adjusters are experts at damage assessment, arranging alternative accommodation for extended periods and planning the reinstatement of your home. Most building and contents policies with adequate flood protection will include some form of alternative accommodation provision; this is often in the region of 20% of the total insured value of your home. This budget may also have to include other associated additional costs (such as extra heating costs). If you have adequate home insurance, with accurately estimated buildings/contents cover reflecting the rebuild/replacement cost, the amount available should be sufficient to cover your time in temporary accommodation.

Catastrophic events

It is after catastrophic events like major flooding that the merits of having sufficient insurance cover become more pronounced. Only having contents cover will mean that any claim you make will be limited by the amount it would cost to repair/replace your contents. If you live in rented accommodation, you will also need to contact your landlord/buildings manager to discuss what cover they might have in place and what action they are taking to re-house you.

24 hours

The usual time it takes for a loss adjuster to get in contact with you is 24 hours, with an aim to visit your home (if necessary) within 3 days, but this may not be practicable in the case of severe or widespread flooding. This is because there is likely to be an increased demand for loss adjusters' services and there may also be difficulties accessing certain areas while transport links are re-established. Despite this, even in the most severe cases, your loss adjuster should get in touch with you no more than 2 days after you contact your insurer and should attend your property within 7 days of the area becoming accessible.


It is vital that people living in areas take out home flood insurance, though it may be harder to find reasonable cover. With HomeProtect you can get a competitive online quote for flood risk insurance, even if you are at moderate to high risk of encountering a flood. House insurance should be for everyone, not just those at little to no risk of ever getting flooded. homeprotect specialises in providing house flood insurance to the people that need it most.

Need cover?

Read more

Related stories

News article

Classification of Flood Risk

Monday, 01 September 2014

Finding out what risk you face when it comes to flooding is just good sense, but it may also be a requirement of your flood house insurance.

Read more