Homeprotect does not provide standalone mobility scooter insurance. Rather mobility scooters can typically be covered under home contents insurance – both inside and away from the home. Read more about our contents insurance

You don’t need vehicle insurance for a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, but such a valuable aspect of your day-to-day activities should be covered against theft and damage.

Mobility scooter and powered wheelchairs come in two categories:

  • Class 2 invalid carriages which are pavement only and have a max speed of 4mph.
  • Class 3 invalid carriages which can be used on the roads and have a max speed of 8mph.

Homeprotect insurance for Class 2 scooters

With a home insurance policy from Homeprotect you can insure your Class 2 mobility scooter or wheelchair as part of your home contents cover. We do not offer cover for Class 3 mobility scooters.

Mobility scooters and wheelchairs are considered High Risk Items, a broad category covering other items of contents such as jewellery, watches, medical equipment and works of art. As standard, your Homeprotect contents insurance will provide upto £5,000 (or 20% of the contents sum insured, whichever is lower) for High Risk Items worth less than £1,500 (either on a per item basis or as part of a collection) inside the home. If this limit is not enough, or if your scooter or wheelchair is worth £1,500 or more, or if you require cover against physical damage and theft away from the home then you should specify the item on your policy. 

Should you lose or damage your keys then we will cover the cost of replacing them, or will make good on any locksmith charges, so long as you have the optional Lost Key Cover included in your policy. 

woman on laptop next to window

Get a home insurance quote online

Get a quote online in less than 10 minutes*

What’s covered by contents insurance?

Having contents insurance means you won’t be out of pocket if you need to repair or replace your belongings after they’ve been stolen, damaged or destroyed.

What we offer

Quick fix for uncontrollable leaks

Have a home emergency, such as electricity failure, faulty locks or vermin infestation? With the 24/7 Home Emergency cover, which we provide as standard, you can typically get an engineer at your home within four hours. And if you’re worried about an uncontrollable leak in your home, we aim to have an emergency plumber to you within two hours.

Extreme weather conditions may extend response time. Policy terms and claim limits apply.

New for old

Where we replace an item, we will do our best to meet the original specification on a ‘new for old’ basis. If we can’t find an exact replacement, we’ll offer you a suitable alternative, or a full cash settlement.

Legal advice

We provide Legal Protection cover as standard, giving you access to telephone legal advice on any personal legal issue, under the laws of the UK, any European Union country, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Switzerland and Norway.

What isn’t included?

Lost items.

Items stolen from unoccupied vehicles.

Damage caused by pets.

The cost of repairing or replacing items following a mechanical or electrical fault.

Contents Insurance Cover Levels

Our contents insurance is designed to protect your belongings against insured events such as fire, storm, flood, escape of water, theft, malicious damage, subsidence, landslip or heave.

Contents cover

Covering the value of all your possessions in the home, on a new for old basis.

from £25,000

Alternative accommodation

For you and your pets, in case you can’t live at your home while it’s being repaired after an insured event.

up to £10,000

Home emergency

Covers emergencies that occur in your home like uncontrollable water leaks, electricity failure, faulty locks and vermin infestation. Two levels of cover are available.

up to £500

Family legal protection

Provides a 24/7 legal advice helpline and up to £25,000 cover for claims involving contract disputes and property damage. For a claim to be successful, there must be reasonable prospects (more than a 50% chance) of winning the legal case. Two levels of cover are available.

up to £25,000

Liability cover

Liability cover involving accidental death, bodily injury or illness or property damage that you are legally liable to pay.

up to £5 million

Personal possessions

Cover for portable items that you take out of your home, like bags, clothes and sports equipment


Gadgets, bikes and valuables away from the home

Cover for electronic gadgets (e.g. mobile phones, laptops, tablets etc), bikes (including electrically assisted bikes) and valuables (e.g. watches and jewellery) that you take out of your home.


Accidental damage

Covers situations when unexpected accidents happen, such as spillages on the carpet, breakages around the house or drilling through hidden pipes. Two levels of cover are available.


Your Questions Answered

No. Because we consider mobility scooters and wheelchairs to be High Risk Items, we don’t cover theft in outbuildings, or elsewhere within the boundary of your property unless it was under your personal supervision at the time of the theft.

Yes, all Homeprotect policies provide liability to the public cover as standard.

First of all, keep your scooter locked when not in use – even when it’s in your own home- with a quality bicycle U-lock or chain. The majority of mobility scooter thefts in the UK are from their owner’s home.

You can also immobilise your scooter by removing the spark plug or HP cap.

Finally, you can also deter thieves by having your mobility scooter microchipped and displaying a sticker on your scooter warning thieves that it’s tagged.

Yes. Homeprotect contents insurance covers your mobility scooter against theft outside the home, provided you’ve specified it on your policy and requested cover away from home, but only where the thief causes damage while trying to access the scooter, or they used violence or deception to steal your scooter, or the scooter was under your personal supervision at the time of the theft.

We would consider accessories to be part of the scooter itself. So if the collective value of scooter and accessories is £1,500 or more then the amount you specify the scooter for should include the value of the accessories, in order to claim for the full amount following an insured loss inside the home. Similarly, if you want cover for your scooter and accessories away from the home then your scooter must be specified (irrespective of its value) and the replacement cost you specify should include the value of the accessories.

View more FAQs

Recommended by our customers

72% Saved money when they switched to Homeprotect*

Prefer to SPEAK WITH us?

Our insurance experts are on hand if you have any questions.