Your boiler is pretty important to your home, especially over the colder months – it brings you warmth and comfort, so when things go wrong it can cause a bit of a problem. Boiler insurance will fund the cost of repairs and labour.

Is home emergency cover worth it?

Boiler breakdowns and central heating malfunctions can happen at the most inconvenient of times, and there’s nothing worse than being left in the cold. With emergency cover, you have the peace of mind that you will be protected around the clock – meaning should the worst happen, a trained engineer will be there to see to the problem at the earliest possible time. 

Electric and gas boiler cover

Unlike gas boilers, electric boilers don’t have as many mechanical parts running them, so they generally take less maintenance – though of course they must be regularly maintained. 

What is covered?

  • Emergency repairs to boiler and central heating system
  • Up to £500 per claim
  • Access to 24/7 helpline
  • Overnight accommodation should your property become uninhabitable, with cover up to £250 depending on your policy. 

What’s not covered?

The costs (or any contribution towards the costs) of replacing a boiler if:

  • It cannot be repaired; or
  • The appliance is beyond economic repair (i.e. the cost of repairing the appliance is more than the cost of replacing it); or
  • Repairs will cost more than £500.

Do I need to service my boiler regularly?

It is a condition of our policy that you carry out any inspections or services in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions (e.g. arrange an annual service). Doing so will also reduce the likelihood of an emergency situation occurring.

woman on laptop next to window

Get a home insurance quote online

Get a quote online in less than 10 minutes*

Recommended by our customers

72% Saved money when they switched to Homeprotect*

buildings & Contents Insurance Cover Levels

Our home insurance is designed to protect your home against insured events such as fire, storm, flood, escape of water, theft, malicious damage, subsidence, landslip or heave.

Buildings cover

Covers the main structure of your home if you need to rebuild or repair it.

up to £1 million

(eligibility criteria applies)

Contents cover

Covering the value of all your possessions in the home, on a new for old basis.

from £25,000

Alternative accommodation

For you and your pets, in case you can’t live at your home while it’s being repaired after an insured event.

up to £85,000

Home emergency

Covers emergencies that occur in your home like uncontrollable water leaks, electricity failure, faulty locks and vermin infestation. Two levels of cover are available.

up to £500

Family legal protection

Provides a 24/7 legal advice helpline and up to £25,000 cover for claims involving contract disputes and property damage. For a claim to be successful, there must be reasonable prospects (more than a 50% chance) of winning the legal case. Two levels of cover are available.

up to £25,000

Trace and access

Covers the cost of detecting the source of a water or oil leak and repairing any damage caused in the process.

up to £10,000

Outbuildings cover

Covers rebuild or repair of your outbuildings (such as detached garages, greenhouses, sheds and summerhouses).

from £20,000

Liability cover

Liability cover involving accidental death, bodily injury or illness or property damage that you are legally liable to pay.

up to £5 million

Personal possessions

Cover for portable items that you take out of your home, like bags, clothes and sports equipment


Gadgets, bikes and valuables away from the home

Cover for electronic gadgets (e.g. mobile phones, laptops, tablets etc), bikes (including electrically assisted bikes) and valuables (e.g. watches and jewellery) that you take out of your home.


Accidental damage

Covers situations when unexpected accidents happen, such as spillages on the carpet, breakages around the house or drilling through hidden pipes. Two levels of cover are available.


What’s covered by BUILDINGS & contents insurance?

Home insurance provides financial protection if you need to repair your home or replace your belongings after they’ve been stolen, damaged or destroyed.

It comes in two parts: buildings insurance (cover against damage to the property itself) and contents insurance (for damaged or stolen items within the home). These can be combined or bought separately, so the first step is deciding which option is better for you.

What we offer

Quick home emergency response times

Have a home emergency, such as electricity failure, faulty locks or vermin infestation? With the 24/7 Home Emergency cover, which we provide as standard, you can typically get an engineer at your home within four hours. And if you’re worried about an uncontrollable leak in your home, we aim to have an emergency plumber to you within two hours.

Extreme weather conditions may extend response time. Policy terms and claim limits apply.

5 star rated buildings cover

Our building insurance has been given the highest rating by independent financial research companies, Defaqto and Moneyfacts.

Repair guarantee

Any buildings work we undertake is guaranteed for 24 months following a claim and any contents repair work we undertake is guaranteed for 12 months.

New for old

Where we replace an item, we will do our best to meet the original specification on a ‘new for old’ basis. If we can’t find an exact replacement, we’ll offer you a suitable alternative, or a full cash settlement.

Legal advice

We provide Legal Protection cover as standard, giving you access to telephone legal advice on any personal legal issue, under the laws of the UK, any European Union country, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Switzerland and Norway.

What isn’t included?

Damage cause gradually, or by wear and tear, or by failure to fix a known issue.

Faulty design or poor workmanship.

Damage caused by pets.

The cost of repairing or replacing items following a mechanical or electrical fault.

Lost items.

Your Questions Answered

There is no limit on how many callouts you can make but there is a limit of £500 for each emergency claim (call-out charges, parts, materials, labour and VAT)

We have no age limit on boilers. However we do require you to carry out any inspections or services in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions (e.g. arrange an annual service).

While your assigned engineer will do their best to get your boiler or heating up and running again as soon as possible, in some circumstances it may be beyond safe repair. In this case, unfortunately, we cannot offer a contribution towards the cost of a replacement boiler.

View more FAQs

Prefer to SPEAK WITH us?

Our insurance experts are on hand if you have any questions.