Libby Goodsearles

Written by

Libby Goodsearles

Head of Marketing

Sophie Kamkar

Reviewed by

Sophie Kamkar

Content Marketing Manager

Less than 1 minute

Updated: 21 Feb 2024

Changing your home insurance provider can bring several benefits; you could make substantial savings; and it also gives you a perfect opportunity to ensure you have the right level and type of insurance cover for your property and belongings.

A couple of words of warning though! First, if you cancel a policy mid-term there may be a cancellation fee to pay. And second, although one aim of switching can be to save money, it’s important to make sure you have the right level of cover and this may not always be the cheapest.

Step 1. Re-assess the cover you need


Calculate the current rebuild cost of your property i.e. if the whole building needed to be demolished and replaced with a same size, similar style home. If your previous rebuild cost valuation is more than five years old it will probably be out of date.

If your home was built after 1850 and is of ‘standard construction’ i.e. brick or stone walls with a tile or slate roof, then you can use the BCIS Rebuild Calculator

If, however, your home is a period property or of non-standard construction you need to ask a chartered surveyor to assess the rebuild cost for you.


Start by listing all the items in each room and research online, or ask a specialist in the case of antiques or rare items, to find a current value for each item.

Ensure you specifically make a note of any high risk items valued over £1,500 each as these will need to be individually listed to be fully insured in the case of many insurers.

TIP: Don’t forget to include any new items purchased to be given as gifts, or new items received at birthdays, Christmas, engagement, wedding etc.

Add up the value of all the items to find out your ‘contents sum insured’ value needed.


Decide whether you need any additional cover:

  • Accidental damage –  Get protection against damage or loss caused by unintentional and unpredictable mistakes.
  • Cover away from the home – If there are any items you would like to be insured whilst in your possession out and about, UK and abroad, these will need to be specified.
  • Full legal expenses cover to help you if you need to get legal advice during the year.
  • Full home emergency cover to assist in the case of any plumbing, roofing, electrical emergencies in the house.

TIP: If you have a grown-up child living away from home in student accomodation, you can opt to have their belongings covered by your contents insurance. Be sure to list any laptops, tablets and mobile phones separately and with ‘away from home’ cover.


Make sure you remember and include in the quote details any changes to your circumstances, such as:

  • Changed name (marriage, divorce), changed occupation, changed address, changed number of family members living with you in the home etc.
  • Taken in a lodger, a foster child or anyone else not part of your immediate family.
  • Set up a home business, be it selling goods on eBay or or selling homemade jams at local markets.
  • Recently had an extension built.
  • New kitchen or bathroom fitted.
  • Someone in the family has had a criminal conviction, that is still unspent – this even includes fines imposed by a local authority and police cautions.
  • You have made an insurance claim, whether it was paid or not.
  • Flood defences have been installed locally.
  • Your home has become ‘listed’ or named as part of a conservation area.
  • You’re planning or have completed major structural renovations.

Step 2. Use comparison websites

There are four popular comparison websites:

  • MoneySuperMarket
  • Compare the Market
  • Go Compare

Choose your favourite comparison website and enter all your building, contents and personal details into the quote form.

NOTE: If there are two or more adult ‘owners’ either of property or belongings in the home each individual should be listed as a policyholder. This is particularly important to note on your quote form details if the property is mortgaged in more than one name.

A list of all quotes available for your situation will be shown. Click through to a few of the insurer’s websites and complete the details to see a final price.

Don’t forget that not all insurance companies are listed on comparison websites. You may need to go directly to their websites to get a quote.

Step 3. Check out the insurer

The important things to look for include:


Does the insurer have good customer reviews? Start by searching for the company name in or


Which company underwrites the policy? This should be displayed clearly on the insurers website. Check if the insurer is listed on a Top UK Insurers list.


Check out the insurer’s policy documents, does the policy include what you need. Check exclusions, limits, compulsory excesses etc.


Can you choose between paying 100% up-front or paying monthly? If monthly payments are your preference, check the interest charged.


Is the documentation stored online for you to login and view any time? In many cases, this is the most convenient way of storing your important documents, especially in the case of a fire or flood at home.

Step 4. Sign up

You’re done!

If your property is mortgaged you may need to tell the mortgage provider who the new buildings insurance provider is and provide them with the policy number and new cover limits.

TIP: It’s a wise idea to make a note of your policy number, the telephone number to call in case of needing to make a claim and the telephone number to call in the case of a Home Emergency (if you opted to take that option from your new insurer).

Store these details on your mobile phone and in paper format. Ideally, you should also store any passwords related to your policy in a secure password application.

woman on laptop next to window

Get a home insurance quote online

Get a quote online in less than 10 minutes*

Recommended by our customers

72% Saved money when they switched to Homeprotect*

What’s covered by contents insurance?

Having contents insurance means you won’t be out of pocket if you need to repair or replace your belongings after they’ve been stolen, damaged or destroyed.

What we offer

Quick fix for uncontrollable leaks

Have a home emergency, such as electricity failure, faulty locks or vermin infestation? With the 24/7 Home Emergency cover, which we provide as standard, you can typically get an engineer at your home within four hours. And if you’re worried about an uncontrollable leak in your home, we aim to have an emergency plumber to you within two hours.

Extreme weather conditions may extend response time. Policy terms and claim limits apply.

New for old

Where we replace an item, we will do our best to meet the original specification on a ‘new for old’ basis. If we can’t find an exact replacement, we’ll offer you a suitable alternative, or a full cash settlement.

Legal advice

We provide Legal Protection cover as standard, giving you access to telephone legal advice on any personal legal issue, under the laws of the UK, any European Union country, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Switzerland and Norway.

What isn’t included?

Lost items.

Items stolen from unoccupied vehicles.

Damage caused by pets.

The cost of repairing or replacing items following a mechanical or electrical fault.

Contents Insurance Cover Levels

Our contents insurance is designed to protect your belongings against insured events such as fire, storm, flood, escape of water, theft, malicious damage, subsidence, landslip or heave.

Contents cover

Covering the value of the possessions you could take with you when moving home, such as furniture, clothing, valuables, appliances, fittings, entertainment equipment, gadgets and bikes, following an insured loss. Cover provided on a new for old basis. 

from £25,000

Alternative accommodation

Covers the cost of alternative accommodation for you and your pets, together with reasonable expenses (e.g. travel, food, laundry) if you can’t live in your home (or where you’ve been advised to evacuate) due to an insured loss. 

up to £10,000

Home emergency

Covers sudden, unexpected emergencies, such as uncontrollable water leaks, that require immediate corrective action to prevent or limit damage to your home, or make your home secure. Two levels of cover are available, for different types of insured loss. 

up to £500

Family legal protection

Covers legal costs following an insured loss. There must be reasonable prospects of winning and the incident must have occurred during the policy term. Two levels of cover are available, for different types of insured loss. 

up to £25,000

Liability cover

Covers damages and claimants’ costs and expenses for your legal liability in the event of accidental death, injury or illness to a third party, or damage to property belonging to a third party. 

up to £5 million

Personal possessions

Covers items likely to be worn, carried or used by you away from your home (e.g. bags, clothes and sports equipment) in the event of physical damage or theft. Cover provided anywhere in the world. 


Gadgets, bikes and valuables away from the home

Cover for electronic gadgets (e.g. mobile phones, laptops, tablets etc), bikes (including electrically assisted bikes), valuables (e.g. watches and jewellery), equipment (e.g. hearing aids) and other expensive or high risk items that you take out of your home. 


Accidental damage

Covers sudden, unexpected and unforeseen events around the house (e.g. spillages or breakages) that result in physical damage and which was caused by you, your guests, a third party or wild animals. Two levels of cover are available


Prefer to SPEAK WITH us?

Our insurance experts are on hand if you have any questions.