Away in the Armed Forces

Protect your home with appropriate insurance before you are deployed
Get a quote

Unoccupied home insurance for military personnel

Military coupleIf you own your home, take steps to protect it before you leave it empty.

If you are not living in rented MOD accommodation but own your own home, then there may be occasions when your property is left unoccupied.

We understand that this can be for quite some time because of your job, so we’ve developed unoccupied house insurance that can be tailored around you.

When you are on deployment, on manoeuvres or are stationed abroad for several months, or even years, you may need to make arrangements to maintain the security of your owned property. Most standard insurers will not cover you if your home is unoccupied for more than 30 days.

Home insurers must also take the risk associated to your occupation into account when determining the right level of cover for your building and any contents. As you will undoubtedly be aware, risk can often be managed by implementing control measures.

It is for this reason that you must take a responsible approach to the security of your belongings as well as your personal safety when you are away from home. High risk occupation is therefore an important factor which we take into account when providing cover.

Personal possessions and service equipment should be specified under your contents insurance, including the uniform issued to you. You must also declare whether you need cover for these items in or away from the home so that we can provide the right level of insurance. 

If you are taking out unoccupied buildings insurance you should also consider maintaining the appearance of your property, such as having a friend collect your post and cut the grass in your absence. 

Unoccupied houses are more susceptible to break-ins so we recommend authorising a relative or friend to work with your insurers on your behalf in the event of any burglaries or damage to the property.

At HomeProtect, we recognise that the nature of your job means that you cannot always know how long your home will be left empty, so we’ve created a more flexible unoccupied property insurance policy that can meet your individual needs all year round.

If you have questions about the type of home insurance that you need, then please give us a call.

"If you spend a lot of time overseas (my wife and I spend nearly half the year in Italy) HomeProtect is a good company to go for." Monday, 18 July 2016

Get a quick quote before you leave your home empty

Get a quote

Satisfied customers

The guy I spoke to was so helpful - best experience ever of speaking to an insurance salesman. Trustpilot, 16 August 2017
After searching for home insurance for an unoccupied house I found out about Home Protect. The website was clear and user friendly. The quote was very reasonable in comparison to other providers. I would recommend this service to others who have a holiday home or are awaiting the sale of their property. Review Centre, 2 August 2017
The staff were very efficient and helpful when I rang for a quote. They made it very clear what the insurance covered & answered my questions with ease. I was happy with the quote as it was in between other quotes I received so happily went ahead with it. Review Centre, 2 May 2017