David Joyson

Written by

David Joyson

Home Insurance Expert & Customer Champion

Sophie Kamkar

Reviewed by

Sophie Kamkar

Content Marketing Manager

Less than 1 minute

Updated: 12 Mar 2024

Homeprotect does not provide standalone gadget insurance. Rather gadgets can typically be covered under home contents insurance – both inside and away from the home. Read more about our contents insurance

Electronic gadgets like smartphones, laptops, cameras, smart watches, gaming devices, ebook readers and tablets are hugely popular but also hugely vulnerable. They are often targeted by thieves and can be easily broken or damaged by accident. With so many risks, insuring your valuables is a no-brainer.

Contents insurance for electronic gadgets

Warranties often come with new devices but the situations that they cover are limited. With contents insurance from Homeprotect any electronic gadget, including mobile phones, worth less than £1,500 is already covered under a Contents policy for insured events such as theft, flood, fire and accidental damage (if this optional cover is selected) – so you need only declare devices that exceed this value, or if you want  cover for them away from home.

Multiple gadgets can be added to your contents insurance policy. Simply declare the individual items when taking out a quote online, or if you make a new purchase partway through your insurance year, one of our friendly customer service team will be glad to help you add it to your existing policy. Adding your new purchases will ensure that you are adequately covered throughout the policy in the event of needing to make a claim.

Don’t forget to let us know about any bikes and any high risk items worth £1,500 or more that you have too.

woman on laptop next to window

Get a home insurance quote online

Get a quote online in less than 10 minutes*

What’s covered by contents insurance?

Having contents insurance means you won’t be out of pocket if you need to repair or replace your belongings after they’ve been stolen, damaged or destroyed.

What we offer

Quick fix for uncontrollable leaks

Have a home emergency, such as electricity failure, faulty locks or vermin infestation? With the 24/7 Home Emergency cover, which we provide as standard, you can typically get an engineer at your home within four hours. And if you’re worried about an uncontrollable leak in your home, we aim to have an emergency plumber to you within two hours.

Extreme weather conditions may extend response time. Policy terms and claim limits apply.

New for old

Where we replace an item, we will do our best to meet the original specification on a ‘new for old’ basis. If we can’t find an exact replacement, we’ll offer you a suitable alternative, or a full cash settlement.

Legal advice

We provide Legal Protection cover as standard, giving you access to telephone legal advice on any personal legal issue, under the laws of the UK, any European Union country, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Switzerland and Norway.

What isn’t included?

Lost items.

Items stolen from unoccupied vehicles.

Damage caused by pets.

The cost of repairing or replacing items following a mechanical or electrical fault.

Contents Insurance Cover Levels

Our contents insurance is designed to protect your belongings against insured events such as fire, storm, flood, escape of water, theft, malicious damage, subsidence, landslip or heave.

Contents cover

Covering the value of the possessions you could take with you when moving home, such as furniture, clothing, valuables, appliances, fittings, entertainment equipment, gadgets and bikes, following an insured loss. Cover provided on a new for old basis. 

from £25,000

Alternative accommodation

Covers the cost of alternative accommodation for you and your pets, together with reasonable expenses (e.g. travel, food, laundry) if you can’t live in your home (or where you’ve been advised to evacuate) due to an insured loss. 

up to £10,000

Home emergency

Covers sudden, unexpected emergencies, such as uncontrollable water leaks, that require immediate corrective action to prevent or limit damage to your home, or make your home secure. Two levels of cover are available, for different types of insured loss. 

up to £500

Family legal protection

Covers legal costs following an insured loss. There must be reasonable prospects of winning and the incident must have occurred during the policy term. Two levels of cover are available, for different types of insured loss. 

up to £25,000

Liability cover

Covers damages and claimants’ costs and expenses for your legal liability in the event of accidental death, injury or illness to a third party, or damage to property belonging to a third party. 

up to £5 million

Personal possessions

Covers items likely to be worn, carried or used by you away from your home (e.g. bags, clothes and sports equipment) in the event of physical damage or theft. Cover provided anywhere in the world. 


Gadgets, bikes and valuables away from the home

Cover for electronic gadgets (e.g. mobile phones, laptops, tablets etc), bikes (including electrically assisted bikes), valuables (e.g. watches and jewellery), equipment (e.g. hearing aids) and other expensive or high risk items that you take out of your home. 


Accidental damage

Covers sudden, unexpected and unforeseen events around the house (e.g. spillages or breakages) that result in physical damage and which was caused by you, your guests, a third party or wild animals. Two levels of cover are available


Your Questions Answered

Yes absolutely. If the phones are each worth less than £1,500 then they are already covered under your Contents insurance (although you’ll need the optional Full Contents Accidental Damage cover for any accidental damage cover). For any phones worth £1,500 or over, simply add each mobile phone individually when you get a quote. You will need to enter each phone make, model and cost to replace new at today’s prices. If you already have a Homeprotect policy, please phone our Customer Services team and ask for a quote to add the additional phones to the policy.

You can claim for the theft of mobile phones (worth less than £1,500 each) inside the home so long as you have Contents insurance (including the optional Full Contents Accidental Damage cover for any accidental damage cover).

For mobile phones worth £1,500 or more or for cover away from the home you need to specify your mobile phones on your policy.

Accidental damage to iPad and other electronic gadget screens is covered under the optional Full Contents Accidental Damage cover if the damage occurred inside the home and the gadget itself is worth less than £1,500. If the gadget is worth £1,500 or more, or the damage occurred away from the home then you need to specify each gadget on your policy. You will need to enter the make, model and cost to replace each gadget for new at today’s prices.

If you specified the item at its new purchase price rather than the discounted price you paid for it second hand, your cover will be on a new for old basis. If you specified the item at its second hand value, or didn’t specify it because it was under the limit for specifying electronic gadgets, your cover would be at the second hand purchase value.

With a Homeprotect policy, if your mobile phones are worth less than £1500 each then they’re covered as standard inside the home, although you will need to select the optional full accidental damage cover to protect against accidental damage. If any of your mobile phones are worth more than that individually, you will need to specify them on the policy when you get a quote, to have them included in the cover. Find out more about home insurance including mobile phone cover.

View more FAQs

Recommended by our customers

72% Saved money when they switched to Homeprotect*

Prefer to SPEAK WITH us?

Our insurance experts are on hand if you have any questions.