David Joyson

Written by

David Joyson

Home Insurance Expert & Customer Champion

Sophie Kamkar

Reviewed by

Sophie Kamkar

Content Marketing Manager

Less than 1 minute

Updated: 12 Mar 2024

Homeprotect does not provide standalone bicycle insurance. Rather bicycles can typically be covered under home contents insurance – both inside and away from the home. Read more about our contents insurance

Bicycle theft is a big problem that could leave you financially stranded if you’re a cyclist. The risk of theft is common to all types and makes of push bikes regardless of how much they are worth. According to, more than 1,000 bikes are stolen every day across the UK, which is equal to approximately one bike stolen every 90 seconds!

So whether you use a pedal cycle to commute to work or have a custom-made road bike, we can help you protect your wheels comprehensively.

Preventing bicycle theft is key

Take steps to reduce the risk of bicycle theft. Firstly, register your bicycle on; this website is used by the Police across the UK and is used to reunite owners with their stolen bicycles.

Secondly, secure your bike in a well-lit area with two high quality locks. Using two different types of lock makes it harder to break. When securing your bicycle, lock both wheels and the frame to a solid object such as a bike stand and remove all riding accessories. You might also consider investing in a tracker device, or marking each part of your bike with a UV pen.

Lastly, even if you keep your bicycle in a garage or shed overnight, lock it to something heavy and immovable. If a thief has noticed you storing your bike away then it needs to be as difficult as possible for them to get into the garage and make off with it.

Get the right level of cover to suit your situation

The cost of repairing or replacing a pedal cycle that is stolen or damaged at your home can be significant. If you have bicycles worth £1,500 or more then you will need to specify them individually when you buy your policy to be covered on a new for old basis whilst the bike is kept at the house. Bicycles worth less than £1,500 are covered as standard inside the home.

Similarly, if you regularly use your bicycle away from the home then make sure you specify it on your policy. This provides you with cover for theft or attempted theft and physical damage when outside the home, such as leaving your bike at a train station. Public liability insurance is included, in case of an accident involving a pedestrian or another road user.


Not specified individually on the policy

  • Covered when stored in the home or in an attached garage: Yes, on a new for old basis for bikes worth under £1,500.
  • Covered when stored in detached garage/outbuilding: Yes but only for bikes worth under £1,500 and only up to the £1,500 claims limit for possessions in outbuilding.
  • Covered away from the home for theft and damage: No.

Specified individually, but cover away from the home not selected

  • Covered when stored in the home or in an attached garage: Yes, up to the replacement value specified.
  • Covered when stored in detached garage/outbuilding: Yes, up to the replacement value specified.
  • Covered away from the home for theft and damage: No.

Specified individually, with cover away from the home selected

  • Covered when stored in the home or in an attached garage: Yes, up to the replacement value specified.
  • Covered when stored in detached garage/outbuilding: Yes, up to the replacement value specified.
  • Covered away from home for theft and damage: Yes, up to the replacement value specified.

Cover all the pedal cycles in the home

There’s no limit to the number of bicycles you can insure under your Homeprotect home insurance policy. But if your bicycles are individually worth £1,500 or more or you want cover away from the home then we just need to know the make, model and cost to replace each one as new. 

Don’t forget to let us know about any electronic gadgets and any high risk items worth £1,500 or more that you have too.

woman on laptop next to window

Get a home insurance quote online

Get a quote online in less than 10 minutes*

What’s covered by contents insurance?

Having contents insurance means you won’t be out of pocket if you need to repair or replace your belongings after they’ve been stolen, damaged or destroyed.

What we offer

Quick fix for uncontrollable leaks

Have a home emergency, such as electricity failure, faulty locks or vermin infestation? With the 24/7 Home Emergency cover, which we provide as standard, you can typically get an engineer at your home within four hours. And if you’re worried about an uncontrollable leak in your home, we aim to have an emergency plumber to you within two hours.

Extreme weather conditions may extend response time. Policy terms and claim limits apply.

New for old

Where we replace an item, we will do our best to meet the original specification on a ‘new for old’ basis. If we can’t find an exact replacement, we’ll offer you a suitable alternative, or a full cash settlement.

Legal advice

We provide Legal Protection cover as standard, giving you access to telephone legal advice on any personal legal issue, under the laws of the UK, any European Union country, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Switzerland and Norway.

What isn’t included?

Lost items.

Items stolen from unoccupied vehicles.

Damage caused by pets.

The cost of repairing or replacing items following a mechanical or electrical fault.

Contents Insurance Cover Levels

Our contents insurance is designed to protect your belongings against insured events such as fire, storm, flood, escape of water, theft, malicious damage, subsidence, landslip or heave.

Contents cover

Covering the value of all your possessions in the home, on a new for old basis.

from £25,000

Alternative accommodation

For you and your pets, in case you can’t live at your home while it’s being repaired after an insured event.

up to £10,000

Home emergency

Covers emergencies that occur in your home like uncontrollable water leaks, electricity failure, faulty locks and vermin infestation. Two levels of cover are available.

up to £500

Family legal protection

Provides a 24/7 legal advice helpline and up to £25,000 cover for claims involving contract disputes and property damage. For a claim to be successful, there must be reasonable prospects (more than a 50% chance) of winning the legal case. Two levels of cover are available.

up to £25,000

Liability cover

Liability cover involving accidental death, bodily injury or illness or property damage that you are legally liable to pay.

up to £5 million

Personal possessions

Cover for portable items that you take out of your home, like bags, clothes and sports equipment


Gadgets, bikes and valuables away from the home

Cover for electronic gadgets (e.g. mobile phones, laptops, tablets etc), bikes (including electrically assisted bikes) and valuables (e.g. watches and jewellery) that you take out of your home.


Accidental damage

Covers situations when unexpected accidents happen, such as spillages on the carpet, breakages around the house or drilling through hidden pipes. Two levels of cover are available.


Your Questions Answered

Yes, we offer cover for general personal possessions anywhere in the world. This cover is for theft of and physical damage to items individually worth less than £1,500, that are likely to be worn, carried or used by you away from the home, such as bags, clothes and sports equipment. Electronic gadgets (e.g. Mobile phones, tablets, headphones, laptops), bikes, high risk items and items worth £1,500 or more will need to be specified on your policy. 

In most cases, they are covered up to a certain maximum per claim if you make sure the value of these items are included in the value of contents to be insured. You can find out more about our garage insurance here, and our shed insurance. Please note that there are some items that we can’t insure such as boats and water skis, please refer to the policy booklets for full details.

We exclude cover from unoccupied vehicles.

No, sorry, we only offer insurance cover for bicycles as part of a home contents insurance policy.

There is a maximum claim limit unless you have specifically asked to increase this. Check the current level in our policy booklet.

View more FAQs

[-,9[#’ m+

Recommended by our customers

72% Saved money when they switched to Homeprotect*

Prefer to SPEAK WITH us?

Our insurance experts are on hand if you have any questions.