Homeprotect can insure watches as part of our contents insurance

Often, a watch is among the most valuable possessions a person owns. Popular brands like Omega, Rolex or vintage collectibles from Patek Philippe can also be very expensive. You will understandably want to make sure that your investment is adequately insured.

Wearing your watch every day means that you will face risks like damage and theft. And while any sentimental value is irreplaceable, financial remuneration can at least be put towards repairing or replacing the watch.

If your watch is under a certain value it will likely be covered by your home insurance, but for more valuable items you should specify them on your policy. Be certain to define if your watch insurance is just for the UK, or if you need cover when abroad.  

insuring your watch as part of your contents

At Homeprotect, you can insure your watch along with your home contents. You may well find that it is cheaper to include your watch in your home insurance rather than taking out a standalone policy. It’s also easier to manage at renewal!

Luxury watch insurance that’s part of your home insurance policy will often provide more cover than standalone watch cover too, with worldwide cover for specified items on a new for old basis. Make sure to read the policy terms when getting a quote as insurance provider terms vary.

High risk items such as watches that are worth £1,500 or more must be specified individually in your policy to be covered up to their replacement value. Be prepared to provide evidence of ownership and a valuation of your watch. Additionally, watches individually worth more than £5,000 must have been inspected and fixed (where a fix is needed) by a qualified jeweller within three years of the claim being made.

woman on laptop next to window

Get a home insurance quote online

Get a quote online in less than 10 minutes*

What’s covered by contents insurance?

Having contents insurance means you won’t be out of pocket if you need to repair or replace your belongings after they’ve been stolen, damaged or destroyed.

What we offer

Quick fix for uncontrollable leaks

Have a home emergency, such as electricity failure, faulty locks or vermin infestation? With the 24/7 Home Emergency cover, which we provide as standard, you can typically get an engineer at your home within four hours. And if you’re worried about an uncontrollable leak in your home, we aim to have an emergency plumber to you within two hours.

Extreme weather conditions may extend response time. Policy terms and claim limits apply.

New for old

Where we replace an item, we will do our best to meet the original specification on a ‘new for old’ basis. If we can’t find an exact replacement, we’ll offer you a suitable alternative, or a full cash settlement.

Legal advice

We provide Legal Protection cover as standard, giving you access to telephone legal advice on any personal legal issue, under the laws of the UK, any European Union country, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Switzerland and Norway.

What isn’t included?

Lost items.

Items stolen from unoccupied vehicles.

Damage caused by pets.

The cost of repairing or replacing items following a mechanical or electrical fault.

Contents Insurance Cover Levels

Our contents insurance is designed to protect your belongings against insured events such as fire, storm, flood, escape of water, theft, malicious damage, subsidence, landslip or heave.

Contents cover

Covering the value of all your possessions in the home, on a new for old basis.

from £25,000

Alternative accommodation

For you and your pets, in case you can’t live at your home while it’s being repaired after an insured event.

up to £10,000

Home emergency

Covers emergencies that occur in your home like uncontrollable water leaks, electricity failure, faulty locks and vermin infestation. Two levels of cover are available.

up to £500

Family legal protection

Provides a 24/7 legal advice helpline and up to £25,000 cover for claims involving contract disputes and property damage. For a claim to be successful, there must be reasonable prospects (more than a 50% chance) of winning the legal case. Two levels of cover are available.

up to £25,000

Liability cover

Liability cover involving accidental death, bodily injury or illness or property damage that you are legally liable to pay.

up to £5 million

Personal possessions

Cover for portable items that you take out of your home, like bags, clothes and sports equipment


Gadgets, bikes and valuables away from the home

Cover for electronic gadgets (e.g. mobile phones, laptops, tablets etc), bikes (including electrically assisted bikes) and valuables (e.g. watches and jewellery) that you take out of your home.


Accidental damage

Covers situations when unexpected accidents happen, such as spillages on the carpet, breakages around the house or drilling through hidden pipes. Two levels of cover are available.


Your Questions Answered

We insure all watch brands including Omega watches, Breitling watches, Cartier watches, Chopard watches, TAG Heuer watches, Longines watches, Zenith watches, Chanel watches, Tudor watches, Bell & Ross watches, Bremont watches, Baume & Mercier watches, Rado watches and, of corse Rolex watches.

We do, but they are covered as electronic gadgets rather than watches.

Homeprotect contents insurance covers watches against theft outside the home so long as they have been specified on your policy and you have requested cover away from your property.

Watches worth less than £1500 would be covered inside your home for water damage if caused by an insured loss (e.g. escape of water). If the water damage was caused accidentally, you must have purchased the optional full accidental damage cover.

More valuable watches that you have specified on your policy would be covered within your home, subject to certain conditions, and outside it if you have requested this. Check the current level and conditions in our policy booklet.

There is no limit. Insure your watch for the correct value, i.e. how much it would cost to replace it new at today’s prices. To make sure you don’t under-insure your watch, take it to a jeweller for a new valuation every few years. Note that if your watch is worth less than £1,500, it doesn’t need to be individually specified on the policy, but do include the value of it in the total value of contents to be insured.

View more FAQs

Recommended by our customers

72% Saved money when they switched to Homeprotect*

Prefer to SPEAK WITH us?

Our insurance experts are on hand if you have any questions.